Lithium battery adapter smoked jigsaw motor
This is a followup to the thread about building an adapter to run a lithium battery in a tool that previously took nicads Adapter to use Lithium batteries in Nicad tools.  I've been using it a bit, mostly in a 14.4 impactor building a side gate to the back yard.  It worked great in that tool.   However, when I initially plugged it into my Bosch 18v jigsaw, the motor kicked and then nothing. It has worked fine in all my drills as well as the reciprocating saw.  

So today I decided to see what was going on with the jigsaw.  I opened it up after a bit, got the motor out of the tool.  I could barely turn the armature.  I blew the dust out and used some brake cleaner to flush the armature.  After a bit I got it to spin a bit, not really smooth, but it was moving.  I was able to plug the trigger switch into an 18v nicad and the motor would spin up.  It wasn't spinning as smoothly as I think it was designed to, and would at times hit a spot where it seemed to jam.  I looked online and saw that a replacement motor is about 90 bucks, so that option is not an option.

I then decided to plug it into the adapter with the 18v lithium battery.  It ran a bit then stopped.  I twisted the armature a bit and tried again.  Motor got really hot and started to smoke.  Wires to the motor were warm, switch was hot.  Not good.

At this point I'm going to be a bit subjective and start to make some guesses as to what happened.  This tool is geared down quite a bit.  Since a lithium battery can dump way more current than a nicad, I think due to the mechanical resistance the motor has to turn, the excess current quickly overheated the motor windings causing it to bind since clearances seem to be very tight.  Now why the recip saw works fine and this one has problems, I'm not sure. 

At this point, the motor is smoked, shame since it is a really nice tool.  I could replace it with another one (Ebay has one for 60 with free shipping) but it may end up the same.  I can get a NIB lithium version saw for less than a 100 so I may go that route, since I now have two lithium batteries to use with it.
Are you mixing voltages?  That doesn't seem like a good idea.
(03-11-2018, 10:34 AM)mad_planter Wrote: Are you mixing voltages?  That doesn't seem like a good idea.

No.  This saw was designed for 18v and that is what the battery is.  And even if it wasn't, I dont think the extra 3.6 volts (assuming 14.4) would be all that much, it would make it run a bit faster.
It was probably on its last legs.  These tools are really cheaply made, it's not surprising to have a motor fail occasionally
(03-10-2018, 06:22 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: This is a followup to the thread about building an adapter to run a lithium battery in a tool that previously took nicads Adapter to use Lithium batteries in Nicad tools.  I've been using it a bit, mostly in a 14.4 impactor building a side gate to the back yard.  It worked great in that tool.   However, when I initially plugged it into my Bosch 18v jigsaw, the motor kicked and then nothing. It has worked fine in all my drills as well as the reciprocating saw.  

So today I decided to see what was going on with the jigsaw.  I opened it up after a bit, got the motor out of the tool.  I could barely turn the armature.  I blew the dust out and used some brake cleaner to flush the armature.  After a bit I got it to spin a bit, not really smooth, but it was moving.  I was able to plug the trigger switch into an 18v nicad and the motor would spin up.  It wasn't spinning as smoothly as I think it was designed to, and would at times hit a spot where it seemed to jam.  I looked online and saw that a replacement motor is about 90 bucks, so that option is not an option.

I then decided to plug it into the adapter with the 18v lithium battery.  It ran a bit then stopped.  I twisted the armature a bit and tried again.  Motor got really hot and started to smoke.  Wires to the motor were warm, switch was hot.  Not good.

At this point I'm going to be a bit subjective and start to make some guesses as to what happened.  This tool is geared down quite a bit.  Since a lithium battery can dump way more current than a nicad, I think due to the mechanical resistance the motor has to turn, the excess current quickly overheated the motor windings causing it to bind since clearances seem to be very tight.  Now why the recip saw works fine and this one has problems, I'm not sure. 

At this point, the motor is smoked, shame since it is a really nice tool.  I could replace it with another one (Ebay has one for 60 with free shipping) but it may end up the same.  I can get a NIB lithium version saw for less than a 100 so I may go that route, since I now have two lithium batteries to use with it.

If you wish I was going to sell I think either a Bosch or Makita jig saw and it has a cord but I will give it to you if you pay shipping buddy.  Let me know.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.