Frameless Kitchen Cabinets
Getting ready to redo our kitchen, including new cabinets, and I don't have time to do it myself.  While I have built quite a few cabinets with face frames, I have no experience with frameless cabinets.  I really like the clean look, but I am worried about long term issues, mainly racking.  We will be using cabinet boxes with plywood instead of mdf, and shaker-style doors.  Should I stick with face frames?  Anyone out there have frameless cabinets for 10 or more years without racking?  I don't want to invest the money in cabinets that rack in a decade, but love the look of frameless.

Thanks for any opinions/help.
Chris
(03-11-2018, 11:56 AM)pineville Wrote: Getting ready to redo our kitchen, including new cabinets, and I don't have time to do it myself.  While I have built quite a few cabinets with face frames, I have no experience with frameless cabinets.  I really like the clean look, but I am worried about long term issues, mainly racking.  We will be using cabinet boxes with plywood instead of mdf, and shaker-style doors.  Should I stick with face frames?  Anyone out there have frameless cabinets for 10 or more years without racking?  I don't want to invest the money in cabinets that rack in a decade, but love the look of frameless.

Thanks for any opinions/help.

Frameless don't rack if they are built square and installed plumb, level, and square.  I built and installed my kitchen 22 years ago using Melamine for the boxes and plywood panels with hardwood stiles for the doors.  I've had zero issues with them.  I'm actually redoing the doors and drawer fronts right now to update the look, but the cabinets will stay.  They are in perfect shape and I like the design so there's no reason to change them.  

John
You can screw and glue the plywood to inner corner cleats to keep the boxes square and strong.
Wood is good. 
(03-11-2018, 12:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Frameless don't rack if they are built square and installed plumb, level, and square.  I built and installed my kitchen 22 years ago using Melamine for the boxes and plywood panels with hardwood stiles for the doors.  I've had zero issues with them.  I'm actually redoing the doors and drawer fronts right now to update the look, but the cabinets will stay.  They are in perfect shape and I like the design so there's no reason to change them.  

John

14 years for me.  Same here...............  Its about the only way I build 'em, too ;-)
25yrs on mothers, and 30 yrs on clients. Still look as good as the day they were built. Built 16" deep wall frameless for garage and have it packed with all my routers, drills, and solvents. On top of the cabinet sits a 65lb JDS air cleaner that overhangs that even. Screwed to the wall by 4 drywall screws. Frameless is my preferred style and are very easy and fast to make. I do all 3/4" sides and 1/2" back with no hanging strips. Backs are attached via rabbit and 16gauge nails. Never ever had a back pull away from the sides.

Mike