I need a tile saw
photobug, do you have a link to the tile saw you bought?

I think the temptation to reach with a heavy tile in your hand is too much.  The other thing I do that hurts my back is move stuff around by pushing it with my foot.  I have gotten a sore lower back from that on more than one project.
(03-16-2018, 01:09 PM)Cooler Wrote: This is an L-shaped half bath.  I figure I need 35 to 40 tiles total.  About 1/3 of them to be cut.

Which is easier to lay, 12" x 12" tiles or the over-sized ones?

Smaller tiles are easier to lay. For several reasons. Your floor is never perfectly flat so big tiles will make this show in lippage. Smaller tiles can flow over an uneven surface much better without noticeable lippage. 

Big tile is heavy and hard to work with and if you have to pull up a tile it's a bear to get it unstuck from the thinset. Also for some reason tile companies think everyone has a body builder to haul boxes of tile. Big tile still has a bunch of pieces in a box so it's twice as heavy as boxes of smaller tile. 

I would look at doing something other than just 12x12 tile. It's OK but IMO you can't get a good looking pattern with it. I prefer a pattern with a couple tile sizes. The problem is that often you can't get the sizes you need from the borgs and you have to buy direct from a tile supplier.

Here is one I found that has options https://www.msistone.com/tile-floor-patt...ttern.aspx
(03-16-2018, 02:54 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:     I would look at doing something other than just 12x12 tile. It's OK but IMO you can't get a good looking pattern with it. I prefer a pattern with a couple tile sizes. The problem is that often you can't get the sizes you need from the borgs and you have to buy direct from a tile supplier.

I've been buying from suppliers. The first thing I noticed is the thickness of the tile from the borg vs. suppliers. The borg stuff is relatively thin by comparison. It may be a buck or so cheaper pr ft but the selection at tile suppliers is much greater and the patterns don't look like they're printed on the tile. The larger tiles bow in the oven and the thinner stuff bows worse. Generally you'll have to wait a week to get it but so what? Also, the suppliers will have all the little stuff like corner shelves, aluminum trim, etc.

Not a fan of small tiles except for accents. Lots of tedious work and tile work is already tedious enough for my taste. If you do go with larger tiles, I highly recommend buying lashes like these.
Them make fast work of matching up all your corners with large format tile. I also found the pricing of all the mortar, grout, thinset etc about the same price at the suppliers. I do like HD's selection of mortar products.
[url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Lash-Tile-Leveling-Aligning-and-Spacer-Clip-Value-Pack-300-per-Box-99758Q/301630294][/url]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-16-2018, 01:55 PM)Cooler Wrote: I created some divots with the power chisel.  I am going to pour some of that leveling compound on the floor.  The bathroom is over the basement but they poured a concrete base over the basement for the tile work.  I don't know if that is normal or not.

I chipped through some divots.  I will fill them with concrete and then pour the leveling compound.  It should be nice and level before I start.  This is my first tile job, so I will have to do some reading before plunging in.

If they aren't too big of divot, thinset works pretty well and so does sand/topping mix. Mix it a little dry so it won't "flow", you should be able to slice it when it's mixed right. Trowel it flat. I think it's easier and cheaper.

I tend to make a mess with the self leveling stuff.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-16-2018, 01:56 PM)EricU Wrote: photobug, do you have a link to the tile saw you bought?

This is the one I got
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7-in-.../203757434

I can't vouch for it yet as the tile is sitting the room waiting for install.  I put house building on hold to work on my shop.  

I bought this saw, an upgraded blade and the appropriate tile blade for my angle grinder.  I potentially have 2000 feet of tiling to do.  I wanted a decent tool with sliding table.  Ridgid's lifetime warranty closed the deal for me.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-16-2018, 04:56 PM)photobug Wrote: This is the one I got
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7-in-.../203757434

I can't vouch for it yet as the tile is sitting the room waiting for install.  I put house building on hold to work on my shop.  

I bought this saw, an upgraded blade and the appropriate tile blade for my angle grinder.  I potentially have 2000 feet of tiling to do.  I wanted a decent tool with sliding table.  Ridgid's lifetime warranty closed the deal for me.

I have this saw.  It didn't come with a stand when I bought it some years ago.  It does a good job not getting you wet.   The table could be a little smoother at sliding.  It can bind if you are not careful.  I did 3 bathrooms with it.  Overall not a bad saw. I have used the DeWalt at a friends house and it is really nice but $$$$.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I bought the Skilsaw and made some test cuts on carrera marble.  The trailing end of the cut keeps chipping off.  Any suggestions?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-12-2018, 08:55 PM)SteveS Wrote: Can you rent one from Home Depot?

(03-19-2018, 07:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought the Skilsaw and made some test cuts on carrera marble.  The trailing end of the cut keeps chipping off.  Any suggestions?

Try making a small cut on that end first 1/4" or less, then cut as before.  Roly
(03-19-2018, 07:48 AM)Roly Wrote: Try making a small cut on that end first 1/4" or less, then cut as before.  Roly

Thanks.  I'll try that.  It sounds easy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-19-2018, 07:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought the Skilsaw and made some test cuts on carrera marble.  The trailing end of the cut keeps chipping off.  Any suggestions?

The video I linked earlier shows how to prevent chipping. Check 7 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDMQFsXf_o