I need a tile saw
(03-19-2018, 07:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought the Skilsaw and made some test cuts on carrera marble.  The trailing end of the cut keeps chipping off.  Any suggestions?

Cut in from both sides, finish in the middle.  Vibration is most likely the problem. Why I suggested the expensive saw  BTDT.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
One more point on the small/large tile issue:  Small tile mean more grout lines, and while more work, they also mean more traction.  This matters when talking about marble tile in a bathroom.  Marble tile are smooth, and bathroom floors get wet.  This was the reason for my mother's quilt pattern floor.  It was a PITA, but I don't want to be the one who put in the floor that takes my parents out.
(03-23-2018, 09:20 AM)Anak Wrote: One more point on the small/large tile issue:  Small tile mean more grout lines, and while more work, they also mean more traction.  This matters when talking about marble tile in a bathroom.  Marble tile are smooth, and bathroom floors get wet.  This was the reason for my mother's quilt pattern floor.  It was a PITA, but I don't want to be the one who put in the floor that takes my parents out.
When you are talking about "small tiles" are you referring the small tiles that come on a mesh backer?

[Image: 6b9ca9f802.jpg]

Or are you talking about small tiles that require spacers?

[Image: PAPERDAISYDESIGN-groutsteps-5.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-19-2018, 07:23 AM)Cooler Wrote: I bought the Skilsaw and made some test cuts on carrera marble.  The trailing end of the cut keeps chipping off.  Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Why I don't like installing marble tile club
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I took some stitches in my hand the other day and so all work is on hold for two weeks while it heals.

But laying tile cannot be half as hard as removing the old stuff.  Some of the mosaic popped off easily, but most of it was really tenacious and fought every step of the way.  

I have to chip off a few errant tiles and I have a few divots to patch.  I think I will go with a mosaic tile (porcelain, white).  I had planned on the mosaic tile for the full bath as it offers better traction when you have wet feet.  But the half bath would not involve much water on the floor so I thought the marble would be nice.  

I think I will tie in all the baths with porcelain mosaic tile.  It fits the "cottage" theme pretty well.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Watch buying whichever is the sheapest model in the HD/Lowes/Where ever.  They usually use that blade that only fits their model that doesn't last very long.  By the time you're done buying 4-5 blades to finish a job, you figure out you should have just bout the next model up that uses a universal blade that lasts the entire job.
(03-27-2018, 11:04 AM)cams2705 Wrote: Watch buying whichever is the sheapest model in the HD/Lowes/Where ever.  They usually use that blade that only fits their model that doesn't last very long.  By the time you're done buying 4-5 blades to finish a job, you figure out you should have just bout the next model up that uses a universal blade that lasts the entire job.

The blade on the Skil tile saw I linked is a quality blade. The recommended replacement blade is a Bosch DB743S (or DB743C) which is readily available.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DB743S-7-In...sch+DB743s
(03-27-2018, 07:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: I took some stitches in my hand the other day and so all work is on hold for two weeks while it heals.

But laying tile cannot be half as hard as removing the old stuff.  Some of the mosaic popped off easily, but most of it was really tenacious and fought every step of the way.  

I have to chip off a few errant tiles and I have a few divots to patch.  I think I will go with a mosaic tile (porcelain, white).  I had planned on the mosaic tile for the full bath as it offers better traction when you have wet feet.  But the half bath would not involve much water on the floor so I thought the marble would be nice.  

I think I will tie in all the baths with porcelain mosaic tile.  It fits the "cottage" theme pretty well.

Taking a break from tile is a good thing. I'm almost half way through doing the kitchen backsplash. It's 3x6 travertine herring bone pattern. Just a few cuts.... 
         While making all those cuts I was thinking about you using that saw and reminded me how lucky I was to get my 10" saw for $70. Will post a picture when I figure out how to again since photo bucket no longer works.
(03-28-2018, 04:49 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:  Will post a picture when I figure out how to again since photo bucket no longer works.

Flickr.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-28-2018, 05:48 PM)Admiral Wrote: Flickr.....

Yup. I downloaded it to my phone and tablet back when photobucket changed but I totally forgot I had downloaded it...   

Anyway here is a pic from the other day. Like the combo or not it's what the better 3/4 wanted so that's what is done.  

https://flic.kr/p/25wSg81

I can't get Img  or bb codes on Flickr so Ill have to look at another pic hosting site. It only gives me this short link. I went to their horrible Web site and found an img link but it doesn't work here so I will find another pic hosting site.

[Image: 41043420962_74ea3b93b7_k.jpg]20180326_161544_HDR by Robert Adams, on Flickr" />[Image: 41043420962_917dda7621_h.jpg]20180326_161544_HDR by Robert Adams, on Flickr" />
[Image: 41043420962_74ea3b93b7_k.jpg]20180326_161544_HDR by Robert Adams, on Flickr" />