Farmhouse table legs
Want to turn legs for a farmhouse table for my daughter. Is there a resource for patterns for legs? Tried drawing them out but I struggle with proportions. They all came out looking strange. I'm looking at 5" stock. Would like to come up with something of my own eventually.

Thanks
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
When I've had problems with design, I look at pictures of what other people have designed and find something I like. If I know the dimensions of the final piece I can guesstimate the proportions from the picture.
I'm not aware of plans.  Google Osborn Wood Products.  The first leg they show in their dinning table legs is a 5" "farm house leg".  They don't name it, but that's what it looks like to me.

Good luck.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
A Google image search for 5" farmhouse legs brought up quiet a few options. Take a look and you will getting some ideas.
As an add-on... you don't need to know the finished dimensions. Just measure the length of a leg in a picture, then measure the length of each feature. That will give you the proportions, scale to whatever dimensions you need.
(03-12-2018, 05:35 PM)crokett™ Wrote: As an add-on... you don't need to know the finished dimensions.  Just measure the length of a leg in a picture, then measure the length of each  feature.  That will give you the proportions, scale to whatever dimensions you need.

I don't know what style you're after, but I just went to Home depot and looked at some legs they had.  I took pictures next to a tape measure.  Then I got home and glued some 2x4's together to make a blank, and started turning... 

These were made within 2 weeks of me getting the lathe, my first table legs... and they turned out good enough that wife liked em.  

I would say just get after it.
Good tips. Thanks ya'll. Just happen to be going to HD so l'll look around.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
I recently finished a vanity for my bath room remodel. It has large turned legs from 3 x 3 walnut. I looked at different designs online then cut out a piece of 1/4 plywood to the dimensions of the leg, and drew/marked on it till I was happy with the shapes. Once finalized, that became the story tick for the legs as well as the joinery. It helps to paint the 1/4" ply with white paint so you can write on it, and erase as necessary.