Festool Vac Electronics Failure?
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new high-end vac (dust extractor), but there is one thing that has me a bit concerned.

I have seen a few comments about the failure of the electronics in the vac - possibly caused by static in the hose.  It is an expensive fix.

The vac will come with an anti-static hose - which I would use for sanding.

But I have other bigger diameter hoses (not anti-static) that I will need to use for other tasks, like picking up bigger chips or general clean-up.

Is the use of a non anti-static hose a legitimate concern for potential damage to the electronics?  I tried asking the supplier, and they recommend the use of the standard hose.  I expected that response as a CYA.
Steve
If you are worried about it, you can get grounded auxiliary hoses in most diameters.  I think the Bosch hoses are supposed to fit.  

Or you can add a grounding wire (which sounds like something that will be damaged and forgotten after a while):

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/exploding-...-ductwork/

These people sell the hose and adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?...se+clayton
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It is good to see there are other options for anti-static hoses.

I would like to know if others use regular (not anti-static) hoses with their Festool vacs that have electronic controls?  

If so, how much or how frequently?  The amount of static build-up would be highly variable.
Steve
I just spent about two hours reading the Festool Owners Group site - first time I ever checked that out. There were a lot of discussions about fried circuit boards, seemingly caused by static build up through the Dust Deputy. It looks like Oneida came up with a fix for that, but I am not sure the sensitivity of the controlling electronics in the vac is resolved. I would rather see something that can't be damaged so easily.
Steve
I decided to go with the Nilfisk Attix 30 HEPA. It has the performance of the bigger Festools, but this model does not have the variable suction control and auto tool start - so it does not have the potentially sensitive circuitry.

I am hoping it is as quiet as they say it is - 59 dB.
Steve
You've already pulled the trigger on a Nilfisk, so my post is for those considering a Festool.  I have the Festool midi (older CT-33) with the Dust Deputy and I've had zero issues with static.  I used it in the desert, where static electricity was a daily battle.  The important thing to remember about ANY dust collection system is grounding.  A properly grounded dust collector should not introduce any issues into your electronics.  Always plug your vac into a grounded outlet.  Use static grounded or anti-static hoses.  Ground your dust collector (in my case, the Dust Deputy).  Did I mention you should ground your dust collector?  Also, if the switched tool is plugged into the dust collector, make sure you are operating on a 20 amp circuit.  Most residential outlets are 15 amps.  The standard Festool dust collector plug is a 20 amp plug for a reason.  It's intended to be able to carry the load of both the dust collector AND the switched tool plugged into the dust collector.  While static electricity may have been the cause of some of the failures you read about in the FOG, I wonder if some folks were using underrated outlets.  An underrated outlet will cause problems.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill