Wooden Box Hinge?
Hi all, 

Curious if anyone might now the type of metal hinge from the attached photos? Looks like a sort of hidden clasp hinge, but I wasn't sure if this was a custom design, or well known type. Any insight or thoughts welcomed. 

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-14-2018, 01:04 PM)wooden77 Wrote: Hi all, 

Curious if anyone might now the type of metal hinge from the attached photos? Looks like a sort of hidden clasp hinge, but I wasn't sure if this was a custom design, or well known type. Any insight or thoughts welcomed. 

Thanks!

That box is a Singer sewing machine accessories box.  It is probably over a 100 years old.   The hinges were placed in a saw slot and the tabs bent over.   I have no idea what they are called and have not seen  any hinge like them being made.    You might look up Singer puzzle box to find out more info.   Roly _________ Forgot to welcome you to this forum, a bunch of friendly and knowledgeable people.
As stated above, that is a purpose made hinge and you likely will not find them as a new item to buy.

If you are looking to restore the box you show, it will be difficult. If you want to make a reproduction, you might get away with knife hinges. They screw in, but you could build the box side with a central high section, screw the hinges to the sides of that, then glue on the rest of the sides to bury the hinges. Tricky, but should work and look the same.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Yep, the Singer sewing box.
I was asked by a customer to make a copy of one she has.
No luck on the hinges (I asked this same question here a year or two ago), so I came up with my own method.