Light, water resistant sheet stock
I need some material to rebuild a winter cover for my boat.  I used luan underlayment last time and it worked well for a few years, but the wet finally got it and it delaminated and fell apart.  Anyone have a suggestion for another material that would be light, weather resistant and not cost an arm and a leg?  The luan was fastened to 1X2 "rafters" butted against a 2x4 strong back running the length of the boat's cockpit creating a low A-frame shaped structure..  I covered that with a plastic tarp and lashed it all down.  It shed snow well and kept the inside of the boat reasonably dry.  I wandered around the big box yesterday, but didn't see anything that I thought would work well and wouldn't be so heavy that I'd have to tear it apart to get it off the boat..  Any help?

Phil
It used to be called CDX but may be ABX now or sanded ply.  All I know is CDX is now unavailable.

The x stands for exterior glue.  Find a 1/4" ply with exterior glue it should last a long time, especially if you have it covered by a tarp.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-14-2018, 02:09 PM)Phil S. Wrote: I need some material to rebuild a winter cover for my boat.  I used luan underlayment last time and it worked well for a few years, but the wet finally got it and it delaminated and fell apart.  Anyone have a suggestion for another material that would be light, weather resistant and not cost an arm and a leg?  The luan was fastened to 1X2 "rafters" butted against a 2x4 strong back running the length of the boat's cockpit creating a low A-frame shaped structure..  I covered that with a plastic tarp and lashed it all down.  It shed snow well and kept the inside of the boat reasonably dry.  I wandered around the big box yesterday, but didn't see anything that I thought would work well and wouldn't be so heavy that I'd have to tear it apart to get it off the boat..  Any help?

Phil

How about FRP (carwash panel); https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner-4-.../202085619
I've seen boats shrink wrapped.  They sell owner installed versions.  It looks secure, dry and easy.  I don't know the expense however.

http://www.shrinkwrapcontainments.com/c-...pment.aspx
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Are you looking for a boat cover to protect your boat in winter or a boat shed to protect the boat while being able to work on it?
A carpenter's house is never done.
Would corrugated fiberglass work for you?
(03-14-2018, 05:18 PM)photobug Wrote: Are you looking for a boat cover to protect your boat in winter or a boat shed to protect the boat while being able to work on it?

Just a cover to keep snow and rain out of the cockpit.
(03-14-2018, 05:55 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Just a cover to keep snow and rain out of the cockpit.

You may want to look into corrugated plastic sheets.  It is used for outdoor signs and other applications.  Home Depot even carries it (~$20  for a 4/8 in either black or white)

think cardboard box materials.. but in plastic.

Just a thought
(03-14-2018, 02:24 PM)photobug Wrote: It used to be called CDX but may be ABX now or sanded ply.  All I know is CDX is now unavailable.

The x stands for exterior glue.  Find a 1/4" ply with exterior glue it should last a long time, especially if you have it covered by a tarp.

Confused

CDX at menards

They also make green treated plywood. 

Treated plywood

If menards has both options, any real building supply should too.

Maybe a few hunks of steel roofing? Would that work?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(03-14-2018, 02:09 PM)Phil S. Wrote: I need some material to rebuild a winter cover for my boat.  I used luan underlayment last time and it worked well for a few years, but the wet finally got it and it delaminated and fell apart.  Anyone have a suggestion for another material that would be light, weather resistant and not cost an arm and a leg?  The luan was fastened to 1X2 "rafters" butted against a 2x4 strong back running the length of the boat's cockpit creating a low A-frame shaped structure..  I covered that with a plastic tarp and lashed it all down.  It shed snow well and kept the inside of the boat reasonably dry.  I wandered around the big box yesterday, but didn't see anything that I thought would work well and wouldn't be so heavy that I'd have to tear it apart to get it off the boat..  Any help?

Phil

Phil, I have an idea that may work and is cheap. You already have a structure. Make 1x3 panels covered with plastic sheeting like polyethylene . Make the panels any convenient size that is easy to handle. Screw the panels to the structure. The poly can be just stapled on. Probably last at least 4 years, more if you reinforced poly. When the poly gets weathered, trash it and staple on new. This will let in light if you need to work on the boat. The panels can center on the ribs and very little rain will get in.
I use a similar method on a High tunnel, like a green house except no heat. My panels are 9 years old and I have changed the plastic once so far. Probably get 2 more years before changing it again. 
Make the A frame high  enough so you get a good pitch to run off snow. The pitch on my high tunnel is 10" and most of the time snow slides off the roof area.

mike