And then it went BANG
I finally got a reply from Spectrum Supply. They said they couldn't find anything structurally wrong with the blade and that they would send it back to me. I asked how it broke at the weld if nothing was structurally wrong, but doubt I'll get a response.

Spectrum didn't get the order for the new blades I just bought.

John
So, is it coming back rewelded, straightened, and sharpened?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-07-2018, 09:48 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: So, is it coming back rewelded, straightened, and sharpened?

No, I don't believe so from what he said.  He said something like "I told the guy to re-coil it and ship it back.".  I haven't heard back since I asked how they concluded the blade was structurally sound if it broke at the weld.  

As you might guess, I'm disappointed by the response.  I though they would offer me a discount on a new blade since the old one has too many chipped and broken teeth to justify fixing.  Nope.  

My response will be how many customers respond when they think they have been treated poorly.  You complain, then you take your business elsewhere.  I already placed an order for new blades with another supplier, and if I buy another Woodmaster CT in the future it likely will be at Connecticut Saw.  Their prices aren't quite as good, but they can resharpen carbide BS blades.  In any case, I won't be buying from Spectrum Supply.  

If the blade shows up looking brand new I'll post an update.  I don't expect that to happen.   

John
6 months later....no update...which means...
Guess they ultimately failed you
Big Grin
Hope the new blades are working well!
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(10-03-2018, 10:24 PM)alanealane Wrote: 6 months later....no update...which means...
Guess they ultimately failed you
Big Grin
Hope the new blades are working well!

The guy at Spectrum never responded to my last correspondence.  I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it and Spectrum is now on my very select few banned for life list. 

I bought some really low cost Lennox Woodmaster C and GT blades and have been using those.  The 1.3 tpi blades take a wider kerf and don't cut as smoothly as the 1.3 tpi Woodmaster CT, but the 2 tpi ones are close in terms of smoothness; not quite, but more than acceptable even for slicing veneer.  And it cuts a little slower but I'm OK with that.  

John
John,
Where did you get your blades? Connecticut Saw?
(10-04-2018, 10:06 AM)EricU Wrote: John,
Where did you get your blades? Connecticut Saw?

Bandsaw Blades Direct

John
(10-04-2018, 09:55 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The guy at Spectrum never responded to my last correspondence.  

Like I said in the spring, the weld is the weakest point in the blade. Im shocked they even took back a 18 month old blade to check. Frankly I have had a number of bands snap at the weld, and only once did I contact the seller and it was because it made it through maybe a foot of wood and >pow<.....obviously a bad weld.

With that said, Ive never dealt with spectrum....ive been buying from bandsaw blades direct for sometime now. Great value and never have issues.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-04-2018, 06:06 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Bandsaw Blades Direct

John

Good co. That's where I bought my last batch of blades. I usually go for 10-12 at a time.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The company I work for has 6 tool makers and a fully equipped tool room, including a DoAll band saw (for metal cutting).  

The saw has a welder and grinder built right into the saw.  We buy blades by the coil and the tool makers cut it to size and weld and grind it on the DoAll machine. 

So blades can definitely be welded.  

We don't use any carbide and I don't know what the heat would do to the teeth.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=...9947238425
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.