New kitchen cabinets
Before I sold my old place, I did a total kitchen remodel. I built the upper cabinets 14 or 15" deep (I forget which). It's only a couple of inches more than the old ones, but the useful extra storage space was huge. That's a lot of leverage though. Be sure your cabinet backs or cleats are glued and screwed at every opportunity. You don't want them levering off the wall in two years.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(03-16-2018, 07:27 AM)Cooler Wrote: On the other hand I made my bathroom vanity a few inches taller than normal so I don't have to lean over so far to wash my face.

Many (most) of the vanitys I made were 34" in height. Most customers loved the idea when I mentioned I could make them taller
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Not sure of your layout but with mine I had to work with a door way that couldn't be moved over to accommodate a normal cabinet depth on one wall yet I didn't want to lose the storage space.  I ended up with 17" deep bottom cabs with 12" over it was much needed space and counter space.  I did the same with a friend's kitchen but he was having it built by a cabinet maker and I came into the picture late.  I met the cabinet maker when he was doing a final measure so he could get the fillers right.  I told him I needed cabinets against a wall they were leaving bare the cabinet guy looked at me like I was from Mars told me there wasn't enough space because of the location of the stove.  I asked if he cut the ply to make the boxes he said "of course"  I told him to cut it smaller and they would fit.  Somehow he had never done that before.  So another wall of base and upper cabinets plus counter space.  His wife no longer has to store food in the garage because lack of space.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Cooler,

Another thing to consider building kitchen cabs is the counter to upper vertical space.  I think the standard is 15" or so, but some appliances will not fit, if this is something on your radar.

For example, a KitchenAid mixer needs 16" or so of clearance.  Also, some blenders.

My uppers had a strip to hide undercounter lighting and I ended up raising my uppers 1" to accomodate the mixer which my wife was very happy about ;-)  (Of course a few years later I learned there are under counter mixer shelves available sheesh).

As for the depth, why do you think you need that? Apparently you've made your decision, but in my eyes that extra depth isn't usually needed and adds to storage/clutter issues.

You could consider making one or two cabs deeper, like on an end or next to the refrig, for example.
One other thought is depth of an OTR microwave/venthood...most MW hang on mounting plates attached to the wall, which I guess could be pushed/furred forward...
18" between uppers and lowers has been standard for 20 years or so. Older cabs can be all over the map
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020