Sketchup: revert model from 2018 to 2017
I have a sketchup model that i last edited with 2018 while it was a free download.  Now it has expired on my computer, and I am really not happy with the online 'free' version.  It is slow and clunky, and does not seem to support scenes, so I can't even see everything that is in my model.  There was no way that I saw to resave a model from 2018free into 2017 format which would allow me to continue editing.  

Is there a supported way of opening up a model last saved with SU2018 in SU2017?

I have found the free viewer, which is allowing me to view the contents of the model, but I want to be able to edit it with SU2017.
(03-16-2018, 10:28 AM)stoli Wrote: I have a sketchup model that i last edited with 2018 while it was a free download.  Now it has expired on my computer, and I am really not happy with the online 'free' version.  It is slow and clunky, and does not seem to support scenes, so I can't even see everything that is in my model.  There was no way that I saw to resave a model from 2018free into 2017 format which would allow me to continue editing.  

Is there a supported way of opening up a model last saved with SU2018 in SU2017?

I have found the free viewer, which is allowing me to view the contents of the model, but I want to be able to edit it with SU2017.

Quote:It is slow and clunky

Once it is open on your computer, it is using your computer's processing. It uses WebGL which your browser needs to support fully.

Quote: and does not seem to support scenes

Actually, the online version does support scenes. In the Views window, click on the + at the bottom to add scenes.
[Image: 40843298951_460588b019.jpg]

Quote:There was no way that I saw to resave a model from 2018free into 2017 format which would allow me to continue editing.

If you choose Download> .SKP file it will be downloaded to your computer as a version 2017 file so you can open it.
[Image: 39033684790_e12abe3df0.jpg]

Alternatively you can sign into your 3D Warehouse account in your browser and upload the 2018 SKP file(s) you have. Then either go to your 3D Warehouse account in SU2017 and open them, or go back to your Warehouse account in your browser and download the SU2017 version to save on your computer.
[Image: 40801372072_af167905aa.jpg]
DaveR1,
I learn many not so intuitive things about Sketchup from your replies to folks questions here on Woodnet. 
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(03-17-2018, 05:52 AM)KyleD Wrote: DaveR1,
I learn many not so intuitive things about Sketchup from your replies to folks questions here on Woodnet. 
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Thank you, KyleD.
Thanks for your efforts Dave.

The online version is significantly slower in the first action one usually takes, creating a new model.  It also takes longer to insert a model.  I realize these are "interfaces", and are effected by connection speed, but these were my first introduction to Free, and are slow.  Clunky may have been a bit much.

The model I have already has multiple scenes.  After I inserted it into free, it appears to only have inserted the last scene, and states that there are no scenes in the model.  I had a similar issue with going through the 3D warehouse -- only the last scene was transferred.

It is possible that "Insert" is not the right way to go with Free.  But I could not find a way to Open a file on my computer.  The only option was to use cloud based storage, not disk based.  I even tried dragging my file to the view that shows up after I select the Open command.
(03-17-2018, 08:23 AM)stoli Wrote: Thanks for your efforts Dave.

The online version is significantly slower in the first action one usually takes, creating a new model.  It also takes longer to insert a model.  I realize these are "interfaces", and are effected by connection speed, but these were my first introduction to Free, and are slow.  Clunky may have been a bit much.

The model I have already has multiple scenes.  After I inserted it into free, it appears to only have inserted the last scene, and states that there are no scenes in the model.  I had a similar issue with going through the 3D warehouse -- only the last scene was transferred.

It is possible that "Insert" is not the right way to go with Free.  But I could not find a way to Open a file on my computer.  The only option was to use cloud based storage, not disk based.  I even tried dragging my file to the view that shows up after I select the Open command.

Quote:The online version is significantly slower in the first action one usually takes, creating a new model.  It also takes longer to insert a model.  I realize these are "interfaces", and are effected by connection speed, but these were my first introduction to Free, and are slow.

I've done a bit of modeling in Sketchup Free and haven't found that to be the case. What Internet Browser are you using? Connection speed really only matters when you initially open SU Free and when you save to Trimble Connect or to the 3D Warehouse or access the Warehouse. Otherwise everything is run locally.

Quote:The model I have already has multiple scenes.  After I inserted it into free, it appears to only have inserted the last scene, and states that there are no scenes in the model.

So you inserted it which means the model came in as a component. Then of course no scenes will come with it. It would be the same as importing it into an existing session of SketchUp 2017. If you want the scenes, don't insert it. Open it instead.

Quote:It is possible that "Insert" is not the right way to go with Free.

Yes. That's wrong unless you want to insert it as a component. You would use this, for example, to insert a sink component into a kitchen model.

Quote:But I could not find a way to Open a file on my computer.  The only option was to use cloud based storage, not disk based.  I even tried dragging my file to the view that shows up after I select the Open command.

Click Open in the File menu.
[Image: 40817177952_9d03e898f7.jpg]

The Trimble Connect page will open. This is where they expect most users of SketchUp Free to store their files which can be handy considering you can access your files on any computer with internet access that way.

Click on Add Model.
[Image: 25986689877_5bf1f62f2a.jpg]

Either drag and drop your SKP file or click the big blue Browse button on the right and select the SKP file from there.
[Image: 40817177892_3a7c0890c6.jpg]

Click the big blue Open button at the bottom right corner of the screen.

[Image: 39048986430_e59c4fd8f4.jpg]

After opening the file that way, you'll find the scenes are included.
[Image: 40817359862_98df4465ac.jpg]
Dave,
Thanks -- It was the "Add Model" step that I missed.  This did not imply opening a new file to me.

The scenes show up in Free, and in the skp download.

I'm using Safari 11 on a Mac.  It takes ~5sec to open or switch models.  Not long in the grand scheme, but not the instantaneous feedback of multiple open local windows.
I'm just getting started with SU, so I have nothing to add to the narrative. When it comes to browsers however, I've had much better luck and performance with Google Chrome than Safari on my iMac.

Doug
(03-17-2018, 10:14 AM)stoli Wrote: Dave,
Thanks -- It was the "Add Model" step that I missed.  This did not imply opening a new file to me.  

The scenes show up in Free, and in the skp download.

I'm using Safari 11 on a Mac.  It takes ~5sec to open or switch models.  Not long in the grand scheme, but not the instantaneous feedback of multiple open local windows.

You're welcome.

Quote:It was the "Add Model" step that I missed.  This did not imply opening a new file to me. 

I guess technically adding the model by itself doesn't open it. It adds it to your files on Trimble Connect. Once it is there, you can open it in SketchUp Free. 

Quote:It takes ~5sec to open or switch models.  Not long in the grand scheme, but not the instantaneous feedback of multiple open local windows.

That time will be influenced by by the size of your SketchUp file since it has to be downloaded from the cloud before opening. One good reason among many to keep your file sizes in control. Don't let them get bigger than they need to be.

As for switching windows, you could have more than one tab in Safari open to SketchUp Free. You can't copy from one SketchUp session to another at this time but you could be working on different files if you want to multi-task.

SketchUp Free does seem to work better with Chrome. I understand the WebGL support is more advanced.