New Lutherie Work by My Son - Pic Heavy
My son, Jake, is 2 months into lutherie school at the Galloup Guitar School, and his progress amazes me.  This is his 3rd acoustic guitar, and the first one he built at Galloup.
[Image: 8Roao2.jpg]

The back and sides are curly maple, and they are so figured they almost look 3D.

[Image: 8RoGB9.jpg]

[Image: 8Ro50o.jpg]

This is the rosette for the one he is working on now.  Amazes me that this is inlaid into the top, which is only about 80/1000ths to begin with.  There is virtually NO margin for error!

[Image: 8RuWxz.jpg]

Check out the process for making the wood mosaic for the rosette.....

[Image: 8RuAS5.jpg]

[Image: 8Ru8JC.jpg]

(The little gap at the top of the rosette is intentional, it allows the wood to move slightly, but it is covered by the fingerboard after the neck is attached.)

[Image: 8RujRT.jpg]

So, anyway, I'm still in "proud dad" mode.  Looking forward to this one being finished!
Beautiful guitar, especially being only the third one - congrats to your son! (and to you, a proud Dad, obviously) - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Your son has some amazing talent.  You both must be very proud.  

Is there a typical career path for someone who learns to build acoustical instruments?  Having followed a far different path, I have no clue.  

John
(03-16-2018, 02:22 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Your son has some amazing talent.  You both must be very proud.  

Is there a typical career path for someone who learns to build acoustical instruments?  Having followed a far different path, I have no clue.  

John

I don't know if there is necessarily a "typical path," but there are various options.  A lot of people go to work in various custom shops, like Fender or Taylor or whatever.  Some open their own repair businesses.  But what he wants to do is actually build guitars from start to finish.  There are a couple of possible apprenticeships he is interested in.  If neither of those work out, then he may work with his original mentor here, who has a fully equipped shop, where he could do some repair work and also build his own instruments.
He did very nice work and the inlay is nicely done to.  Tell him Well done.

I think once he learns the perfect art of inlay he could just do that for a living and sell it to not only Lutherier's but people who do high end furniture work as well.
Yes

Me I am just happy to be finally wood turning again after 14 months of not being able to do it at all.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Excellent work with beautiful wood.
Beautiful guitar, outstanding grain.

I wonder if he can get any better!!
(03-16-2018, 06:58 PM)iublue Wrote: Beautiful guitar, outstanding grain.

I wonder if he can get any better!!

Funny you say that....when he brought it home, he insisted on showing me every flaw in it.  Way too picky!
(03-16-2018, 07:51 PM)southgalawyer Wrote: Funny you say that....when he brought it home, he insisted on showing me every flaw in it.  Way too picky!

OH - LOL! - despite the lack of my skills to produce such a beautiful project - I don't point out my defects, most never see them!
Smile

BUT, your son has a LOT of talent - has he thought of making other types of 'string instruments', especially those of past centuries?  May give him many more options - might have to go to Europe but the possibilities are numerous - if there is any interest, check out this THREAD that I started in the Good Music Guide a number of years ago - I love CDs of these string instruments from the past - can add further comments if of any interest.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Man that thing is beautiful, I wish I could hear!