Extension Cords
(03-18-2018, 07:19 AM)KyleD Wrote: It sounds like you can get just as cold as we do here in North Dakota. The duration could be different though.

Duration is shorter.  I worked well into December this season, and even had a few workable days in Jan and Feb.  We had a warm winter this year, but our spring is colder than normal.  

Eventually I hope to have a heated shop.  It is only money
Smile.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(03-18-2018, 07:00 AM)KyleD Wrote: ............. I am thinking of giving up on the whole woodnet forums. I just tried hyperlinking two pictures in another post to which I wanted to reply but gave up after a while. Someone will come on here and say it is so easy you just have to do this, this, this, and that, then change that setting, and finally hold your nose this particular way and whala- there are the pictures. Whatever. This is something I could easily do in the old woodnet forums.

Kyle:  don't swim upstream with the pic thing.... I agree this new software is clunky.  So I use Flickr, and just create an album, drag and drop in Flickr, and then copy and insert the link to the album into the post.  Much easier, and it actually allows the viewer to increase the size of the pictures easily.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-17-2018, 06:11 AM)Cecil Wrote: Kyle: I added my location my profile ages ago.  It still does not show.  I am in western NY.  On time, in my 50+ years here, it got down to -40*C.  If you Google that, you will find that to be -40*F.  while that is unusual, it gets down to -20*F most winters.  I don't work in the wood shop at those temps, but I often work for a while at +20*F and above.  I just need to bring stuff inside and let it stabilize to glue up and to finish.

Admiral: I purchased a couple of 50' cold whether cords, 25-30 years ago.  One of them did not get along with me.  It left in the middle of the night, along with a box of drywall screws and a few misc. items.  It broke the door on the way out too.  The other one I still have, and it does make a difference.  They are less of a tripping hazard, since they lay flat, and handle better when coiling/uncoiling.  

Photobug: thanks for the info on cord designations.  I did not know that.  A Google search using those terms showed a few more options.  Thanks.

-40C. That's the same as -40F.  Where do you live?  It's never gotten below -20F in Buffalo.  Syracuse got to -41F once, and the all time record for NYS is -52F in Old Forge.

John
I use extension cords which have the clear triple-tap outlet with a light to tell you there is power. Very handy.
Wood is good. 
(03-18-2018, 07:00 AM)KyleD Wrote: Yeah, I should have thought about the clunkiness of this forum as a reason your profile is not filled out. I am thinking of giving up on the whole woodnet forums. I just tried hyperlinking two pictures in another post to which I wanted to reply but gave up after a while. Someone will come on here and say it is so easy you just have to do this, this, this, and that, then change that setting, and finally hold your nose this particular way and whala- there are the pictures. Whatever. This is something I could easily do in the old woodnet forums.
Anther thing this forum does that bugs me is when I reply to someone, it adds the whole person's post into my reply. This forces me to go and highlight then delete all the post to which i am trying to reply. Isn't this what "quote" is for?

If you just want to reply to a post hit "New Reply" on the bottom right.  If you hit "reply" it is to reply to that comment so brings that quote with them.  The "quote" button is a "+quote" button.  You can hit that button on a number of posts then hit reply and all of the threads will come to your reply so you can comment on all the other posts.

The software is a bit clunky, you just have to figure out how to work around it.

Here it's been a warm winter never below -10f, -20, -30 is not uncommon here.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-18-2018, 09:29 AM)jteneyck Wrote: -40C. That's the same as -40F.  Where do you live?  It's never gotten below -20F in Buffalo.  Syracuse got to -41F once, and the all time record for NYS is -52F in Old Forge.

John

The low temps of -40 were reported between Cassadaga and Sinclairville.  They were reported by multiple sources, but I am not sure if they became official temps.  I live south of there, and at my house we did not see the -40.  However I did see in the -30's at work.  Most years we see at least one day in the -20's, but fortunately we did not this winter season.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe