Initial impressions of Bosch's ROS65VC-5 (with some questions, of course)
Well, I ended up getting another Bosch sander and throwing the cheaper one I had gotten before in the recycling bin. I was tempted by Bosch's $128 model, but I was seeing a pattern in the reviews about the shaft in the center breaking or something like that, so I went with the 5" version of their $219 model, the ROS65VC-5. 

The first thing I noticed besides the size of it was how smooth it operated. Very impressive! Also, when I checked the sanding pad for flattness, it was perfect right out of the box! Good start!

A way into using it, I noticed that when I put a soft interface pad on it and tried wet sanding with micro mesh disks and mineral spirits, I noticed the sander was spinning REALLY slowly on the surface and WAY too fast when I took it off. I was like, OH GREAT! However, I tried taking the interface pad off and sanding on a drier spot, and it was fine again. There were still problems with the no load speed, and I tried pushing on the pad with my palm (when it was turned off) just in case something wasn't seated right (not too hard, though) and I noticed some particles of built-up dried finish (from previous sanding) would come out when the sander was spinning, and the speed would become more regulated after that, so I think I need to empty the dust canister more often when sanding finished surfaces. It is worth saying, though, that the same thing happens at times when I see a little bit of fine wood dust fly out of the sander and the speed changes.

There are still plenty of times, though, when the no load speed is WAY too fast with seemingly no explanation. However, when I put it on the surface to sand, it spins at the right speed. It occasionally leaves some swirl marks, but if I don't put any downward pressure on the sander any marks are usually 99% indisinguishable, even below finishing grits (finishing grit averaging between 150 and 220). I do have a video of these phenomena if anybody isn't clear about the speed I'm describing. There's no real set pattern with the no-load speed all the time. Sometimes it starts off really fast and slows down a bit after a while, other times it speeds up slowly until reaching a certain speed, on rare occasions it spins very slowly or not at all. It goes in different directions, too. This is ONLY with the no-load speed, though. When I'm sanding a dry surface, it always seems to switch directions when the sander makes contact with the wood and also spins at a much faster but constant speed assuming no downward pressure is applied (which seems to cause sanding swirls to appear WAY more often).

Is it normal for the no-load speed to be erratic like that? I thought it was always supposed to go at one speed. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I'd like some info. Again, I do have a video of the sander I could post. I REALLY like the sander, especially since it doesn't make my palm hurt after using it (like my old Porter Cable did). I'm just wondering why it slows down so much when wet sanding (as well as the erratic no-load speed). Am I just using too much Mineral Spirits? I just don't remember this happening with my old Porter Cable or any other sander. Thanks!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I've had a ROS65VC for at least 3 years.  Great machine.  I never, ever, get swirl marks with it, even when crossing across stile/rail joints.  I have no clue why you are getting them unless you are leaning on the sander.  That's a no-no; just guide it and let the weight of the machine do the work.  

It's slowing down when you are wet sanding because of the cohesive forces between the sanding media and surface.  I use water with a little dish soap in it for wet sanding and haven't noticed it to be a big problem.  

My sander does spin much faster when off the wood, too.  Nature of the beast I guess with ROS's.  Doesn't seem to hurt anything though.  As for it spinning one way then the other, I've never seen that and it doesn't seem possible considering the way the mechanism works.  

Keep the dust canister cleaned out and blow out the sander occasionally.  The only time I had to do any real maintenance on it was after extensive wet sanding when some of the slurry got up into the guts of the gearing mechanism and really slowed it down.  I took the pad off, blew out all the innards, and it's been fine ever since.  Another thing about wet sanding.  You want to use sanding media with no holes, remove the dust canister, and plug or cover the outlet, too, to help keep slurry out of the guts of the sander.  

John
(03-18-2018, 09:44 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I have no clue why you are getting them unless you are leaning on the sander.  That's a no-no; just guide it and let the weight of the machine do the work.  

My sander does spin much faster when off the wood, too.  Nature of the beast I guess with ROS's.  Doesn't seem to hurt anything though.  As for it spinning one way then the other, I've never seen that and it doesn't seem possible considering the way the mechanism works.  

Keep the dust canister cleaned out and blow out the sander occasionally.  The only time I had to do any real maintenance on it was after extensive wet sanding when some of the slurry got up into the guts of the gearing mechanism and really slowed it down.  I took the pad off, blew out all the innards, and it's been fine ever since.  Another thing about wet sanding.  You want to use sanding media with no holes, remove the dust canister, and plug or cover the outlet, too, to help keep slurry out of the guts of the sander.  

John

Yes, I noticed that if I applied any downward pressure to the sander, it would slow down and leave noticeable swirl marks. Those pretty much all went away, even at 120 grit, once I just let the sander rest on the surface under its own weight. 

It's a relief to hear that it's not just me experiencing the phenomenon with the no-load speed. Mine actually doesn't spin anywhere near as fast off the wood as it does on. I simply thought it was supposed to be really slow when off of the wood. The spinning one way then another always happens when it goes from off the wood to on it, and occasionally when I start it it will spin a different direction or sometimes will slow down and start to switch the other direction. It doesn't seem to be affecting the performance of the machine, though.

My micro mesh disks don't have holes so that should solve the last problem you talked about. 

Again, I REALLY like this sander, and I'm especially glad it doesn't make my hand feel like I'm being poked with needles after I use it for extended periods like other ROS models have. I just wanted to double check on these details. Thanks!
Near future projects:

I had several other brand ROSs burn up on me. I have 2 Bosch's and they have been great. I also have the Bosch vacuum hose that I attach to the shop vac. Captures everything and leaves the surface clean of any dust.
(03-19-2018, 11:23 AM)Scoony Wrote: I had several other brand ROSs burn up on me. I have 2 Bosch's and they have been great. I also have the Bosch vacuum hose that I attach to the shop vac. Captures everything and leaves the surface clean of any dust.

Which ones? I had Bosch's cheapest and it was NOT typical Bosch quality. That one went in the recycling bin after just 2 months! My current one (the one in the thread title) is almost worth bragging about, though, lol. It does have its quirks, but I'm glad I spent the extra dough to get it. Hopefully it'll last me for MANY years before any major repairs have to be done on it!

Something else I've noticed with regards to doing wet sanding (with the micro grits) is that it works a lot better if the surface has VERY little mineral spirits (or other lubricant) on it. Eventually the pads just soak it up temporarily and I rely on that as the sander spins at the right speed. I have to take a lot of passes and go very slow around the piece with those higher grits to REALLY get that scratch free mirror surface, but it does the job! Not sure if my micro mesh is wearing out and that's why I need to take more time, but it's not a huge deal for me as a hobbyist.
Near future projects:

(03-19-2018, 11:23 AM)Scoony Wrote: I had several other brand ROSs burn up on me. I have 2 Bosch's and they have been great. I also have the Bosch vacuum hose that I attach to the shop vac. Captures everything and leaves the surface clean of any dust.

I'm considering one, and the ROS65VC-5 comes with a vacuum hose adapter, my question is does this adapter hook up to a regular shop vac hose, or do I need to get the Bosch hose to make it work?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-17-2018, 09:00 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Well, I ended up getting another Bosch sander and throwing the cheaper one I had gotten before in the recycling bin. I was tempted by Bosch's $128 model, but I was seeing a pattern in the reviews about the shaft in the center breaking or something like that, so I went with the 5" version of their $219 model, the ROS65VC-5. 

The first thing I noticed besides the size of it was how smooth it operated. Very impressive! Also, when I checked the sanding pad for flattness, it was perfect right out of the box! Good start!

A way into using it, I noticed that when I put a soft interface pad on it and tried wet sanding with micro mesh disks and mineral spirits, I noticed the sander was spinning REALLY slowly on the surface and WAY too fast when I took it off. I was like, OH GREAT! However, I tried taking the interface pad off and sanding on a drier spot, and it was fine again. There were still problems with the no load speed, and I tried pushing on the pad with my palm (when it was turned off) just in case something wasn't seated right (not too hard, though) and I noticed some particles of built-up dried finish (from previous sanding) would come out when the sander was spinning, and the speed would become more regulated after that, so I think I need to empty the dust canister more often when sanding finished surfaces. It is worth saying, though, that the same thing happens at times when I see a little bit of fine wood dust fly out of the sander and the speed changes.

There are still plenty of times, though, when the no load speed is WAY too fast with seemingly no explanation. However, when I put it on the surface to sand, it spins at the right speed. It occasionally leaves some swirl marks, but if I don't put any downward pressure on the sander any marks are usually 99% indisinguishable, even below finishing grits (finishing grit averaging between 150 and 220). I do have a video of these phenomena if anybody isn't clear about the speed I'm describing. There's no real set pattern with the no-load speed all the time. Sometimes it starts off really fast and slows down a bit after a while, other times it speeds up slowly until reaching a certain speed, on rare occasions it spins very slowly or not at all. It goes in different directions, too. This is ONLY with the no-load speed, though. When I'm sanding a dry surface, it always seems to switch directions when the sander makes contact with the wood and also spins at a much faster but constant speed assuming no downward pressure is applied (which seems to cause sanding swirls to appear WAY more often).

Is it normal for the no-load speed to be erratic like that? I thought it was always supposed to go at one speed. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I'd like some info. Again, I do have a video of the sander I could post. I REALLY like the sander, especially since it doesn't make my palm hurt after using it (like my old Porter Cable did). I'm just wondering why it slows down so much when wet sanding (as well as the erratic no-load speed). Am I just using too much Mineral Spirits? I just don't remember this happening with my old Porter Cable or any other sander. Thanks!
Maybe that I just need to be educated but I wouldn't think it is the best idea to run a motor right over the top of mineral spirits.  Isn't there a risk of combustion?  Ken
(03-20-2018, 11:10 AM)Admiral Wrote: I'm considering one, and the ROS65VC-5 comes with a vacuum hose adapter, my question is does this adapter hook up to a regular shop vac hose, or do I need to get the Bosch hose to make it work?

The downstream side of the hose adapter takes something around 1-1/2" ID, or just a little more.  I have a hose from the Rockler Down Under dust collection fitting that fits, and the other end of that fits onto my Shop Vac hose (2-1/2"?).  The other option would be hook a hose up directly to the sander's outlet.  That fitting is about 1-1/8" OD.  

FWIW, I would go with the 6". The ROS65VC is pretty large and balances better with the larger pad. Actually, I recommend you buy both pads, then you can use whatever you'd like and best fits the situation. For 90% of what I do I use the 6" pad. The are easy to change back and forth, too.

John
(03-20-2018, 05:06 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The downstream side of the hose adapter takes something around 1-1/2" ID, or just a little more.  I have a hose from the Rockler Down Under dust collection fitting that fits, and the other end of that fits onto my Shop Vac hose (2-1/2"?).  The other option would be hook a hose up directly to the sander's outlet.  That fitting is about 1-1/8" OD.  

John

thx
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral, I second the recommendation for this sander. Granted, unlike John, I got the 5", but I'm sure either way it'll serve you well! Although you'll get acclimated to this and it might not mean as much after using it for a while, the low-vibration feel of this sander makes a world of difference. 

I've already had to clean some residue off the upper side of the sanding pad after wet sanding, so there is some maintenance involved when doing that. And although this sander is overall leagues ahead of my old Porter Cable, that sander didn't seem to experience the slowdown I get when wet sanding. If I had to guess it would probably be that one having a belt vs. this one having a dampening pad/ring, but I'm still unsure on that one. I just have to use A LOT less mineral spirits when wet sanding. Sometimes I just take the sanding disk off, put the mineral spirits directly on there, and then put it back on the sanding pad and do it that way.
Near future projects: