Plumbing with PEX
I have always used copper for plumbing.  I need to do some work on my current house, i.e. rip out some galvanized pipe.  I may use PEX - I have not decided yet.

I see there are two types of PEX connectors, crimp and expansion.  Some of what I read states that the crimp connectors are nothing more than an insurance claim in waiting.  Is there truth to this?  Is the expansion method better?  Thanks.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
If you don’t need too many fittings you may consider the SharkBite stuff. More expensive per fitting but no tools to buy.

If I were doing it, I’d buy the expander tool just because it looks fun.

Me <- Never run Pex, only read about it.
There are 3 main types of connection now. Copper crimp ring stainless ring and pex ring.

The copper and stainless use pex B tubing. I like the copper but do not like the stainless. 

The pex ring is used on pex A and is an Uponor product. Many prefer it but the tools are much more expensive and the pex rings cost more than copper as well. 

Also pex A is more flexible than pex B. But pex B tubing is cheaper and more readily available. Also pex A has a slightly bigger inside diameter to its fittings. IMO not really a big deal since usually pex is used in a home run style and often a sink would have 3/8 pipe run to it which gets hot water there faster and will still outflow the awful flow restrictors on modern faucets.

There are other connections like shark bite style connectors as well and I don't like them in an enclosed space. There were some other connection styles that were very complicated and the fittings were quite pricey. Not sure if they are on the market anymore. 

I made the switch from copper to pex and it's so much nicer to work with than copper. So many fewer connections for possible leak points and just easier to run and it doesn't mind being frozen too much. IMO it's a great material and I would only use copper in certain applications like in a living space that can see damage ie near a waterheater etc.
(03-18-2018, 08:03 AM)Cecil Wrote: I have always used copper for plumbing.  I need to do some work on my current house, i.e. rip out some galvanized pipe.  I may use PEX - I have not decided yet.

I see there are two types of PEX connectors, crimp and expansion.  Some of what I read states that the crimp connectors are nothing more than an insurance claim in waiting.  Is there truth to this?  Is the expansion method better?  Thanks.

After quite a bit of research at the time, decided to use PEX for a sizable addition to our home. This was ~10 years ago and I bought it at Home Depot; blue for cold, red for hot. Bought all the appropriate fittings for the installation at Home Depot also. At the various devices, transitioned from PEX to copper for the installation of hookups, valves, cutoffs, etc. I was able to borrow the crimping tools from my plumber that was running the PVC drain lines for me.

It was a fairly painless project and to date, there have been no leaks. I obviously tested it completely before covering it up. I would use it again.

HTH,

Doug
I never started on mine yet. I plan to make all the runs, then disconnect the old connection under the house and make the switch at the source. Then I'll remove the old pipe best I can.
Bought pex tools last year, had to re-work a water filter my plumber re-did.

He used plastic npt to pex fittings and the threads wouldn't seal. Went stainless and all is well.

Pex is so danmed easy to work with it isn't funny.

No soldering, no can of hardened glue, primer that stains everything......

Ed
I hired a plumber to rough a new bathroom because I was up against time for a family gathering in my home.  I had one company quote my $4000 for one or two days worth of work.  I hired another guy for just his labor.  We put in the plumbing in one long day for a huge savings on my part.  In the process I learned how to use pex.   It is so super easy,  the pipe is flexible and joints are easy to make.  The flexibility of the pipe means the lengths are not as critical as copper.

I got a crimper and the rings and did all the finish work myself.  It was nice to be able to see the professional do it before doing myself.  But you could easily buy the tools, and parts and watch a youtube video and figure out, it's just that easy to work with.  Being so easy to do it also makes the process much quicker to finish a plumbing project.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Do they make caps for the ends so when you're feeding through holes and so on, it keeps the trash out of the pex pipe?
Tape over the end when fishing it. I've installed hundreds of miles of it. All PEX is not created equal. You can't use the expansion fittings on A but A and B can be used with crimp rings. My preference is A with expansion fittings but it's pricey to set up for a homeowner. As a factory certified installer, Uponor warrants the material for something like 30 years. I carry both sets of tools and some fittings in the truck so I can work on either pipe in someone's home. I just noticed there is a new expansion system by Watts but haven't had a chance to look it over yet. Caught a glimpse of a display in the Borg but was in a hurry and couldn't stop.

PEX pipe will withstand freezing without bursting but the fittings and valves can be broken by freezing. The pipe, like most plastics, should be protected from UV light and that includes some fluorescent fixtures. I've noticed the start of embrittlement in pipe exposed in a few commercial locations with heavy exposure to fluorescent lights. Plan accordingly and mind the storage of any part rolls left over.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-19-2018, 08:18 AM)thooks Wrote: You want to use the expansion connectors and PEX-A piping.

Why do you prefer PEX-A (and the associated expansion tool and fittings) over PEX-A?

PEX-B is about $0.25/ft and PEX-A is about $0.40 per ft.

Stub Ells seems to be about half price as well. I assume other fittings likewise.

Then, of course, there is the expansion tool. Battery powered at about $400 for three tips.

You can get a manual crimp tool for under $150 (or the Milwaukee battery one for $600!)

Is the PEX-A system performance worth the extra expense?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry