Cracks, Knots, Pitch Pockets
Hi Everyone:

It has been a good while since I posted. Have a friend who wanted some "brown" doors, so he buys a bunch of #2 common walnut from the lumberyard. He said it was literally all they had.

So we put the doors together yesterday. Being #2, have some knots, checks, etc to deal with. Mostly small stuff that can be filled in with some shellac and sanding dust. But there are a couple that might need more than that. I am thinking about using CA glue after the wood is sealed with a base layer of wipe on poly.

Thoughts? Thanks for the assistance.
(03-18-2018, 08:57 AM)lscraig Wrote: Hi Everyone:

It has been a good while since I posted.   Have a friend who wanted some "brown" doors, so he buys a bunch of #2 common walnut from the lumberyard.  He said it was literally all they had.

So we put the doors together yesterday.  Being #2, have some knots, checks, etc to deal with.  Mostly small stuff that can be filled in with some shellac and sanding dust.  But there are a couple that might need more than that.  I am thinking about using CA glue after the wood is sealed with a base layer of wipe on poly.  

Thoughts?  Thanks for the assistance.

Yeah, CA glue will work on small holes.  I really like TimberMate wood filler for most holes though, but epoxy is a better choice for large ones.  TimberMate comes in lots of colors, and you can intermix them or add dyes to adjust them further.  You can dope CA and epoxy with coffee grounds, sawdust, a host of things, to color match or contrast, as desired.  I fill holes before finishing; sanding later on removes the excess.  

John