Choosing between bench vises
So I’ve had these two bench vises for a few years, Craigslist grab too good to pass up. I’m rebuilding my outfeed table as more of a proper bench using the butcher block you can see in the pic, and I thought I’d use one of them in the project. Cleaned up of course. So the one on the right has a lot of travel and is quick release style, which I’m not used to. The one on the left has a pop-up dog and looks like it would be easier to completely disassemble to clean and repaint. Thoughts? WWYD?
Benny

First time posting a thread with a pic attachment from my phone.. if you can’t see it, this link should get you there.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMx...NILVkyd1lR
Benny

The one on the right.  You'll love the quick release...I wouldn't be without it.  Also, the wider opening will make it easy to add thick wood faces to the jaws.  You can put dog holes in the wood, serving the same purpose as that pop-up thingy on the other vise.
Bob
[Image: IXzRNo3MmfD4clCnCaeadCVSIezwQ0TESypJhp5m...83-h662-no]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Your shop looks a bit crowded there.  Therefore I would say, use the smaller vice.  Some day soon I can swing on down to the other end of the state and get the one on the right, with the quick release and larger jaw opening, out of your way.  
Big Grin
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Haha yeah whichever one I picked I was going to fix up the other one for a friend!

Good point on the dog hole in the wood...

Follow up question: if you were making a similar outfeed bench, would you mount it in the traditional front/left position? Or off the end? In my case, off the left end is the least obtrusive into my walkways...
Benny

Wild guess, but I probably use the end vise 15 times more than the face vise.  But I wouldn't give up the face vise either.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-18-2018, 04:22 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Wild guess, but I probably use the end vise 15 times more than the face vise.  But I wouldn't give up the face vise either.

If you have 2 vises, and are considering 2 mounting locations...

The choice seems obvious to me.
What I’m worried about is injuring myself on handles sticking out into my usual walkways! Tough to explain. I do have a lower, longer bench I can use for things too.
Benny

(03-18-2018, 01:34 PM)BobW Wrote: The one on the right.  You'll love the quick release...I wouldn't be without it.  Also, the wider opening will make it easy to add thick wood faces to the jaws.  You can put dog holes in the wood, serving the same purpose as that pop-up thingy on the other vise.

I'm just the opposite......find the quick release annoying when working with same size stock.

Jammed a chunk of plywood in to keep the qr dog from dropping down. I can make it qr again in 30 seconds when needed.

Ed