Choosing between bench vises
For right handed folks, mounting a face vise on the front LH corner seems to be the correct location. Seems as many of the books on building workbenches suggest this. I did this when I built my bench many years ago and have never regretted it. The vise has the quick-release feature and I would not be without it for pure convenience.

On the right end I have a vise that lines up with the dog holes on my bench, allowing me to clamp long boards flat to the surface for planing, drilling, cutting, routing - you name it. The two vises in these locations have proven to be a very versatile setup for me.

Doug
I would keep both! I would put the one with the most travel on the dog on the end and put some dog holes in the bench. I'd put the other in the face-vise position. Look up pictures of any standard joiner's bench, and you'll see the usual configuration. There's a reason this configuration is traditional and popular--it works.

If I had only one vise, however, it would be a big one, and it would be on the left-front of my workbench. I probably do 80% of my vise work with my face vise in that position. And I would keep whichever one worked the smoothest. I will admit that I REALLY like my quick-release vise, but it's one with a latch-release, not one of these turn-backwards-twice-and-say-the-magic-words-quick-release-vise. I prefer the latch-release, which is predictable and easy to ignore when I don't actually need to use it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks guys. I should do a quick sketch of my shop layout which would explain why the two conventional locations are probably the most intrusive as far as walking around goes. But hey, I’m sure I could get used to it.
Benny