Splitting a segment ring
I saw in splinterz thread how he splits rings.  I didn't want to hijack his thread but wanted to show another option.  With this fixture you can clamp the ring like in the picture then run it through the saw, rotate the ring and keep doing until it's cut all the way around. I prefer to clamp everything in place including the fixture and raise the blade into and through the ring. Rotate the ring rinse, wash, repeat.  You can also glue the ring to the turning and part off the piece you don't need. That's not always practical or easy though.

Thanks Angus! Appreciate it
I am building a contraption for the bandsaw just for that kind of like the one that is made commercially made which I forgot the name but it will do be able to cut lumber as wide as the blade to whatever thickness is desired.

I will let everyone know when it is done how to make one or maybe I just might sell them.

But what you did is a good idea also and keeps the fingers away from the blade.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I like it Angus:  does the whole plywood sled slide over the regular fence while cutting the ring?I ask this because I saw in the second photo there was a clamp holding the ply to the fence.
And how do you keep it from binding on the final cut?

Please feel free to chime in on my thread that's what it's for.

Bruce
(03-18-2018, 07:29 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: I like it Angus:  does the whole plywood sled slide over the regular fence while cutting the ring?I ask this because I saw in the second photo there was a clamp holding the ply to the fence.
And how do you keep it from binding on the final cut?

Please feel free to chime in on my thread that's what it's for.

Bruce

It can work either way Splinterz. I prefer to clamp everything down and raise the blade into the ring. But, you can use it running it into a raised blade also.  One thing I forgot, when the open saw kerf gets near the clamp I use a small wedge to keep the kerf open. If you don't bad things happen
Uhoh
Angus thanks for the tip; maybe a 1/8" strip at the top in the kerf then the clamp while raising the blade may be safest way w/ a table saw. I saw a video where an older guy does it on the lathe w/ a thin parting tool the ring hot melt glued to MDF circle clamped in a chuck and then he puts the live center in side the ring to catch the part that is cut off. I need to make a thin parting tool for this procedure. do you have any ideas on making a thin parting tool from basic shop tools or cheep steel stock, making a handle would be the easy part. I had thought of using a T bevel for the steel but not sure it would hold an edge very long. any thoughts on this?

Bruce
I tried that method. Here's the problem I ran into. If the inside diameter of the ring is larger than half the swing of your lathe the cut off portion of the ring will hit the lathe bed. In my case it broke the rings. I often use a regular parting tool and part most of the way through then just use a handsaw to finish it up. 
Their used to be a couple of threads here about home made parting tools but I can't remember what steel was used. I know they were made from something easily available though. New narrow parting tools don't seem that expensive but most are single hand hold. Don't think I'd be comfortable with that for rings.
I see your point Angus You would have to have something towards the top inside of the ring to keep it from hitting the bed, And I would have to make a large handle for both hands. I've been wanting to make larger handles for a few other tools as well this might be a good time to make all of those at the same time, I'll have to research the steel and see what I can find. I'll post something when I make the tool & handles 

Great talking w/ you Angus,

Bruce