Sharpening box done
Now that Christmas is well past and skating season is over I finally got my son's skate sharpening tool box completed. Will have to see how practical it is or if it is just too bulky. The kaizen foam was not that easy to work with. I wanted a thick piece for the main box and a thinner piece in the drawer. I thought I could get the thicker foam and peal a thinner piece from it for the drawer. You can't really peal a couple layers off smoothly. To do that you would need a hot knife. 

I do need a suggestion on how to do some fine trimming of the foam. I used a utility knife to  cut out the sections for the items to sit in. The hole for the sharpening jig was snug but workable. The whole piece also fits snug in the box. The problem now is the jig is too tight. Any suggestion on how to shave the sides of the hole just a little?

How about a hot wire cutter? This video shows a 5 minute build using USB as power source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWIKX-DNPc
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
An electric kitchen knife like you use to carve turkeys works fine on foam.

BTW, that's a great looking box.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Two options come to mind (though I have not used this stuff).

1.  Sandpaper.  Can you hand sand this stuff?

2.  Finger access.  Can you cut relief areas so that you can more easily grasp it?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I am wanting to make the slots for the jig slightly bigger. A hot wire knife won't work in this situation. 

The electric knife sounds like an interesting thought. I may give that a try. 

The items in the drawer are easy to get out so it doesn't need finger holes.