glue up question
My aunt gave me a Tell City chair to repair, the rungs are falling out. I cleaned out the sockets, they seem to have foamy residue in the them like Gorilla glue,   Question is what kind of glue to use, I have Titebond 11  but usually use hide glue  but don't  have any, order hide glue or is Titebond ok, thanks for your input
Not familiar with the chair, but if the rungs are "falling out", I doubt Titebond will do much good.  It wont be easy, but you might try epoxy.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-19-2018, 04:23 PM)gramps408 Wrote: My aunt gave me a Tell City chair to repair, the rungs are falling out. I cleaned out the sockets, they seem to have foamy residue in the them like Gorilla glue,   Question is what kind of glue to use, I have Titebond 11  but usually use hide glue  but don't  have any, order hide glue or is Titebond ok, thanks for your input

Also not familiar w/ the chair that needs repair, but looking online, I'm assuming you're talking about the lower cross rungs in an example shown below?  If you can post some pics of your exact chair w/ 'close-ups' of the failing rungs, then might help - glue might not be the best sole solution vs. combination w/ some type of mechanical fastening?  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Epoxy is the way to go.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I've used the clear non-foaming Gorilla glue, no failures so far.

Ed
Thanks guys, chair is just like giradmans pics the 2 side rungs are the problem, I do have some Gorilla Glue glue non foaming that I can use, forgot bout it plus couple of small screws, I'm 77 she's 92 so proly don't have to last too long LOL thanks again
I also suggest epoxy. Coat all the exposed areas, where you don't want the epoxy to stick, with wax. Much easier to remove the squeeze out.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"