Where's A Good Shop Apron!
I have simple requirements for a shop apron.  
  • Tough material
  • Padded straps that cross in the back like suspenders
  • A clasp fastener so I don't have to tie a bow behind my back
  • Good sized flaps for pockets so the pockets don't fill up with sawdust and wood chips (I hate that!)

I JUST CAN'T FINE ONE! 

Maybe I ask too much.  All the more expensive ones I see, the ones that meet most of my requirements, they still have big pockets with no flaps!  That's may be fine for some jobs, but when you make a lot of sawdust, making dados, using a router table, cutting a lot of material at a table saw, POCKETS NEED FLAPS!

Has anyone seen the apron I am looking for?

:.-(
(03-19-2018, 05:31 PM)RGoodwell Wrote: I have simple requirements for a shop apron.  
  • Tough material
  • Padded straps that cross in the back like suspenders
  • A clasp fastener so I don't have to tie a bow behind my back
  • Good sized flaps for pockets so the pockets don't fill up with sawdust and wood chips (I hate that!)

I JUST CAN'T FINE ONE! 

Maybe I ask too much.  All the more expensive ones I see, the ones that meet most of my requirements, they still have big pockets with no flaps!  That's may be fine for some jobs, but when you make a lot of sawdust, making dados, using a router table, cutting a lot of material at a table saw, POCKETS NEED FLAPS!

Has anyone seen the apron I am looking for?

:.-(

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod...hmEALw_wcB

[Image: 96719_BRN.jpg-495x495]

Pockets being on the side, they don't fill up.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

[Image: 41Xqpks-mZL._AC_US300_QL65_.jpg]
Carhartt cargo pants.  The ones pictured are the Rip Stop pants.  They are a bit heavy.   I switch to a lighter pair in the summer, but still Carhartt.  The pocket flaps have snaps, and not Velcro.  I hate the Velcro ones, because they always latch when you let go. 

I know you asked for an apron, but I have gone to cargo pants and I like it much better than an apron.  I do have a couple of pouches I put on a belt as well.  Not necessarily this one, but similar.  Mine is canvas and not leather, but it is a plain-jane pouch.  However, these have the sawdust issue you are trying to avoid.

[Image: 51z+OCiiELL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg]

You have given me an idea though.  I have an arbor press and rivet set.  I could grab the leather pouch and add a leather flap.  I have a couple of scraps of leather floating around.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Atlas 46
(03-20-2018, 12:28 AM)GordonJ Wrote: Atlas 46

Holy smokes! What an apron!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Texas Heritage makes a nice apron, you can get flaps on the pockets.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Thanks all. I had looked at the Duluth one. I may try one out as a backup. But the Atlas 46 looks like what i am looking for. It may be a bit short. I want to look presentable when I go up to the office--pants not covered in sawdust. I am a high school wood shop teacher. The Atlas and the Texas Heritage are pricier than I would have hoped, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm happy now! :-)
(03-19-2018, 07:45 PM)Cecil Wrote: Carhartt cargo pants.  The ones pictured are the Rip Stop pants.  They are a bit heavy.   I switch to a lighter pair in the summer, but still Carhartt.  The pocket flaps have snaps, and not Velcro.  I hate the Velcro ones, because they always latch when you let go. 

I found the Carhartt version heavy as well, went with these, the Wrangler Riggs product, rip stop as well, light, tough and love the pockets, they also fit better than the Carhartt, at least for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-RIGGS-WO...anger+Pant
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-20-2018, 12:28 AM)GordonJ Wrote: Atlas 46

wow! I want one of these now
Smile
my wife bought me one of these for my last birthday and I love it: https://calaveratoolworks.com/collection...ork-aprons