Craftsman brad nailer
I have a craftsman brad nailer that's acting up. The plunger won't retract. I've taken it apart and cleaned it, took great care to re-assemble it, and re-oiled it, but the plunger will push the first nail out but won't retract. Has anyone dealt with this problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Wally
(03-20-2018, 10:15 AM)Wally A. Wrote: I have a craftsman brad nailer that's acting up. The plunger won't retract. I've taken it apart and cleaned it, took great care to re-assemble it, and re-oiled it, but the plunger will push the first nail out but won't retract. Has anyone dealt with this problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Wally - some more information might help: 1) What is the model of the Craftsman brad nailer; 2) What size brads does it shoot & do all sizes not work; and 3) How long have you had the nailer?  

Decades ago, I started out w/ a lot of Craftsman tools, then was shooting 18G nails w/ a Senco for years; more recently decided to go to smaller fasteners (use less nails in my projects and disliked trying to hide those 18G holes) - now using a Grex 23G pinner & Cadex 21G nailer/pinner - so, if the Craftsman has 'seen its days', maybe time for a new toy - 
Winkgrin    Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-20-2018, 12:42 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Wally - some more information might help: 1) What is the model of the Craftsman brad nailer; 2) What size brads does it shoot & do all sizes not work; and 3) How long have you had the nailer?  

Decades ago, I started out w/ a lot of Craftsman tools, then was shooting 18G nails w/ a Senco for years; more recently decided to go to smaller fasteners (use less nails in my projects and disliked trying to hide those 18G holes) - now using a Grex 23G pinner & Cadex 21G nailer/pinner - so, if the Craftsman has 'seen its days', maybe time for a new toy - 
Winkgrin    Dave
It shoots 18ga brads 5/8 through 2". I've had it probably 15 years, but it doesn't really see much use. Right now I'm putting new trim on all the doors and 
windows in my recently remodeled kitchen and dining room. I've always kept it in it's case, and kept it oiled. I did think about the age thing, I wonder if some of the seals have gone bad.
Wally
(03-20-2018, 01:41 PM)Wally A. Wrote: It shoots 18ga brads 5/8 through 2". I've had it probably 15 years, but it doesn't really see much use. Right now I'm putting new trim on all the doors and 
windows in my recently remodeled kitchen and dining room. I've always kept it in it's case, and kept it oiled. I did think about the age thing, I wonder if some of the seals have gone bad.

Well, you need a 'diagnosis' and probably replacement parts - if you still have a Sears store around then give the tool department a call and ask for some advice as to an evaluation; as to parts, check HERE to see if your model is listed and if parts are even available.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Thanks for the info. Looks like all the parts I need are no longer available. Bummer. I've been thinking about getting a 23ga Pinner. Will they hold well enough for standard trim work?
Wally
(03-20-2018, 07:22 PM)Wally A. Wrote: Thanks for the info. Looks like all the parts I need are no longer available. Bummer. I've been thinking about getting a 23ga Pinner. Will they hold well enough for standard trim work?

Hi again Wally - agree that you likely need another air nailer/pinner - going smaller than 18G will likely eliminate the need to 'fill holes' but will also offer less length and holding power - as to a 23G pinner, I have the Grex 635 (first pic below) - drives 'headless' pins up to 1 3/8" in length, so virtually has little 'holding power' - I use the pinner on most of my projects to register pieces or hold molding as the glue dries (often will add clamps), but this gauge pin will simply not be like larger headed nails.

More recently, I bought the Cadex V2/21.55 21G nailer/pinner (also purchased a combo of lengths of the headed nails - much smaller than the 18G ones and not as noticeable - 2nd pic) - this drives headed nails up to 2 3/16" in length - much more 'holding power' and again may not be the need to fill the much smaller nail heads - this replaced my old 18G Senco nailer which I donated to the local Habitat.

SO, if you want to replace your 18G nailer w/ a smaller caliber, then the 21G w/ headed nails might be your best choice since greater length and holding power are advantages - now, Grex & Cadex are some of the more expensive brands in these nailers/pinners, so do some googling depending on your budget, if you want less expensive options.  Hope this helps - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Sense it sounds as if you are going for broke, take it apart and lube the internal O rings and try it.    Try Googleing the model # and Craftsman brad nailer parts.   They should have the O rings available if nothing else.  
 As far as 23 ga pins, they will not have the holding power of a 18 ga brad but may work just fine for your use.     Better yet get both sizes.   Roly
I am not an expert, but 23 ga pins sound too small for window and door trim.  I would expect 16 ga is more common for that, though 18 will do.

Many Craftsman tools are simply rebranded versions of other tools, so parts might be available under another name. Since you've already taken it apart, you might just look for manuals on the web and check whether their parts diagrams match what you've seen.