Flush Trim Bit Question
I wonder if they were cleaning up rough castings if aluminum with a router. Having a single flute can be a plus, it is akin to halving the RPM of the spindle.
It hasn't been clearly stated that the bits have a bearing at all. In the construction trades we use a single flute "flush trimming" bit that has no bearing (it's just basically the shank O.D.) and frequently has a "drill bit" machined onto the end. We use them to cut sheathing out of rough openings. I also use a flush bit without a bearing for plastic laminate. The bearings frequently get gummed up and burn or scratch the self edge, so why use one?

Even without a bearing, at five bucks I'll take a half dozen.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I confirmed they do have a bearing, apparently they are popular in the RV industry.  I've sold the panel pilot bits which is what it sounds like the post above is mentioning but apparently some like the bearing and some don't.
I'd be interested in some.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-20-2018, 02:18 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: Business related question.  I am in the process of buying out the inventory from a saw shop going out of business and part of that was a large quantity of a custom Whiteside flush trim bit, just wondering what folks think the downside is being they are single flute and if they would be worth 5 bucks as a customer price.  Single flute bits are not new, used often in CNC work but never saw a flush trim bit that way before.

Specs on the bit

1/2" Diam x 1/2" Shank x 1-1/2" Cut Length x 3 1/2" OAL.  Single Flute Flush trim

They for aluminum? Sound like the onsurd bits I've seen. RV's heavily trim/use light alum.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

OK I have those bits in stock if anyone wants one, have 183 at the moment.  Price is $5 as mentioned plus shipping which would be $3 by First Class Mail.  Each bit has the protective coating over the cutter but are not packed in the usual Whiteside pouches.  I have a whole list of stuff I'm selling cheap that I picked up, all Whiteside bits and al brand new with full guarantee.

Whiteside Flush Trim Bit Single Flute 1/2" Diam x 1/2" Shank x 1-1/2" Cut Length x 3 1/2" OAL.

By flush trim I mean the bits with the bearing at the tip of the cutter not on the shank, that I would call a pattern bit.

Sorry but I cannot just put the list here because they are active part numbers and Whiteside restrictions but email me at sales@holbren.com and I'll send the details.  If you don't have email, you can PM but not sure how often I'll be checking.  Please don't call the 800 number, they will not know what you are talking about anyway.

Cool 

I just sent email.

Steve
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-30-2018, 11:07 AM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool 

I just sent email.

Steve
Same. Thank you Brian.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(03-20-2018, 02:18 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: Business related question.  I am in the process of buying out the inventory from a saw shop going out of business and part of that was a large quantity of a custom Whiteside flush trim bit, just wondering what folks think the downside is being they are single flute and if they would be worth 5 bucks as a customer price.  Single flute bits are not new, used often in CNC work but never saw a flush trim bit that way before.

Specs on the bit

1/2" Diam x 1/2" Shank x 1-1/2" Cut Length x 3 1/2" OAL.  Single Flute Flush trim

Brian

I only have one with two flutes which is a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1.5 bit.  I do not have anything bigger and I am looking for a bigger bit and one that is a bottom bit as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-05-2018, 12:49 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Brian

I only have one with two flutes which is a 1/4 x 1/4 x 1.5 bit.  I do not have anything bigger and I am looking for a bigger bit and one that is a bottom bit as well.

I will not be at the office for a couple days but will take a picture and post.  The bearings is not on the shank but the other end, tip of the cutter.