Bunk Bed
I read far more then I post on the woodworking side of things, in part because my skill is far beneath that of most folks here. However, I figured I'd share this one, as I am proud of the fact that my son thinks I am magic.

Last year, I threw together an underbed dresser for my son, to try and contain his insane amount of toys. He loved it. Until this year, when he saw his cousin's bunk beds, and then life was no longer worth living. My wife just wanted to go to Ikea and pick up the same bunk bed kit, but I had an aneurysm at the mention of Ikea, and it damaged the portions of my brain that understood the time value of money.

Since this is only going to be of interest to my son for another 5 years tops, I didn't want to put a lot of money into it. So I went over to the local big box store and picked up a bunch of 2x4s:
[Image: bunkbed02.JPG]

Put on an inexpensive Freud rip blade, and ripped it all down.
[Image: bunkbed01.JPG]
[Image: bunkbed04.JPG]

Notched a bunch of them with a Dado blade:
[Image: bunkbed12.JPG]

Then a whole bunch of glue and screws.
[Image: bunkbed15.JPG]
[Image: bunkbed16.JPG]

I finally found an application for the Bessey clamp joiners I've owned for 10 years and three houses. I clamped my longest two together and used them to pull the frames tight. Then I had something that looked like a bunk bed, much to my wife's amazement.
[Image: bunkbed19.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I repurposed a target stand to be a part rack, then started slapping on paint.
[Image: bunkbed21.JPG]
[Image: bunkbed23.JPG]

This was a happy moment:
[Image: bunkbed24.JPG]

I had to keep things dissassemblable to get them through the door. It meant (and means still) a lot of touch-up paint on final assembly.

I also followed the advice of the internet and studiously made sure I had 24" of clear space above mattress height. But I didn't really consider how little space that was. I will probably be cutting this thing down by another 6" in a year or two.
[Image: bunkbed25.JPG]

Important thing is he seems happy, and that has made me very happy with my work.
[Image: bunkbed28.JPG]
[Image: bunkbed30.JPG]
Very nice! When I was growing up we made several loft beds. They were much simpler though - 2x frame lagged to the wall, a 4x4 post holding up the corner then wrap everything with much nicer wood.
Well done - looks like a happy kid! 
Big Grin   Many decades ago (in my first decade of life!) I sleep in a top bunk bed - back then just had one removable rail that could easily be pushed off - fell to the floor a couple of times w/o any damage - your upper loft looks much safer! 
Yes  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Great job on the bunk bed!!

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff
Thanks for the kind words. I don't know about 'safer', but it's definitely sturdy. The cross supports are 2x2s on 12" centers with a 1/2 melamine deck. It took my full 250# weight without a creak or a sag. I am always amazed at what cross-bracing will do. I felt like it was pretty solid, but I put the brace in the back, and I could lean all my weight on the corner without any deflection. It's probably over-built, but things have to be to survive a little boy.
I knew there must be a medical explanation for some of the silly projects I have taken on over the years. I must have suffered from the same aneurysm.
Nice job and thanks for posting. I cannot tell you how many great ideas I have gotten from woodnet folks over the years.
The cross-bucks in the back of the frame are a great idea. I am sure they must add rigidity.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Very nice work, and love how organized your shop is.  BTW,  I used to watch one of the Tiny House shows, and when one woman was inspecting tiny houses, she would like down in bed and see if she could sit up, as if she had been startled, without hitting her head. That might be a good way of determining the minimum clearance above the mattress.
Nicely done!! You've got an even happier young fella there now!!