Table Top Drill Press
Looking to purchase a good table top drill press. Looking at Wen. Any recommendations
(03-20-2018, 04:23 PM)Tide Pride Wrote: Looking to purchase a good table top drill press. Looking at Wen. Any recommendations

Hello - this is an oft asked question that often receives 'lukewarm' responses, i.e. kind of a dull subject, I guess (and I've started a number of threads on the same subject to replace a BT AMT DP purchased in 1994 - still going well - company defunct, I believe?).

I'm assuming you're looking for a 12" or so BT model - most of these are made in the Far East, usually Taiwan, despite how they are painted and labelled - there are SO many options, but one consideration is whether you want a 'belt changer' for speeds vs. a variable speed machine, for less expensive models of the latter, a mechanical principle is used, often a Reeves changing pulley(s) - see a recent thread that I started HERE - I hate changing belts and have been looking for an option (for decades!) - might just 'pull the plug' on one of these models.

SO, please provide some more information which might stimulate more responses: 1) What is your price range; 2) What size do you need (distance from post to drill x 2); 3) Do you want to change belts or look at variable speed; and 4) What will be your uses?  Looking forward to the posts.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-20-2018, 04:23 PM)Tide Pride Wrote: Looking to purchase a good table top drill press. Looking at Wen. Any recommendations

I've noticed you have asked about Wen power tools at least twice, here and with regard to a bench top planer.

I am sure this is motivated by cost.  Wen is a brand that is somewhat a mystery, who made it, likely some chinese vendor; what is the product support, likely minimal; how long will you be able to get parts, again, a crapshoot.

So for short term, disposable use, it may be an option.  I prefer tools that will last for some time, and while nothing lasts forever, you have to consider that inexpensive means that shortcuts in design and manufacture have been taken to keep the cost low.  With machines that spin tooling, this can be problematic.  When you consider that a Wen planer is only $150 less than a comparable Dewalt, the choice seems obvious. I get you are on a budget, but saving up some coffee money for several months will make the difference, and you will get a more reliable and durable tool.  

Now, as far as a drill press is concerned, check out Harbor Freight, likely less than, or the same as Wen, but you have a much better return policy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

I have this Wen drill press and it has been great so far. Have had it for about 6 months with light use so I can't speak to its longevity, but was the best I could find in the price range I had.
I have the Grizzly radial arm drill press. Other than an issue with the chuck and the chuck key not mating up well (I put a new chuck on it and all is well), I have had no issues. I keep it on a bench in the back of my shop and use it when the main 17" Jet floor drill press is setup for another task. I've drilled metal and wood with various bits and had no issues.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-21-2018, 09:33 AM)groanz Wrote: I have this Wen drill press and it has been great so far. Have had it for about 6 months with light use so I can't speak to its longevity, but was the best I could find in the price range I had.

For those considering the Wen DP linked above - note that mechanical variable speed is used, so wondering if the engineering was similar to my link above on the Bailiegh DP, i.e. Reeves pulleys - found the pic below of the Wen pulley system from an Amazon reviewer - seems like the same mechanism for those interested.

@ Groanz - have you have any problems using this variable speed mechanism - reviews seem mixed and a reason I'm hesitant to go from my 'old faithful' belt changer (hated by the way w/ pinched fingers!) - to the Reeves system?  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
I have a Delta bench top that I could part with if you're close to central Virginia.
John

Referencing the one pictured above, It's junk, and I don't care how many 4 and 5 star reviews it gets on amazon.  Think about it, a reeves drive machine with a digital readout for 225 bucks, with free shipping!  What could possibly go wrong?  I'd be quicker to buy something from HF or biglots , at least you will have somewhere to take it when something on it finally breaks.
What size bits do you pan to swing with it?
Make sure to look at the speed ranges. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to drill with a 3" forester bit swinging away at mach speed.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(03-21-2018, 12:50 PM)giradman Wrote: For those considering the Wen DP linked above - note that mechanical variable speed is used, so wondering if the engineering was similar to my link above on the Bailiegh DP, i.e. Reeves pulleys - found the pic below of the Wen pulley system from an Amazon reviewer - seems like the same mechanism for those interested.

@ Groanz - have you have any problems using this variable speed mechanism - reviews seem mixed and a reason I'm hesitant to go from my 'old faithful' belt changer (hated by the way w/ pinched fingers!) - to the Reeves system?  Dave
Smile

That doesn't look exactly like my version of the drill press. It is orange instead of yellow and the table is different. I am not sure exactly what the drive looks like. I can try to take a picture tonight when I get home.

I have not had any problems with the speed changer. It has worked very smoothly when I have played around with it, but I generally stay with high speed with smaller bits.