Adjustable story stick
(03-22-2018, 11:13 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Does that stretch to 12' when you are measuring out for a wall of kitchen cabinets.
Winkgrin

No, but when you are measuring for the width of the shelves for those cabinets it will come in handy.
Smile
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Maybe you could fashion one up, like the folding wood rulers.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I can give  you an 8 footer:  [Image: 31hLFFgbKXL.jpg]

The 12 footer is awkward to carry around.
(03-23-2018, 01:04 PM)Cooler Wrote: The 12 footer is awkward to carry around.

Piece of cake if you have a 12' pickup bed.
Laugh

Make it fold-able. Say, 3 sections?
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My first day of using the story stick extensively. The one issue I had was when I set the stick for 24” on a 48” ruler. That meant on one side of the clamp it read 24” and on the other side it read 23-1/2”. I was concerned that I would use the wrong side. So I took the “extra” brass clamp and clamped it to the “wrong” end of the ruler. The prevented accidentally using the wrong side.

I like it. It beats measuring each piece with repetitive cuts.
I thought the whole idea of a story stick is that you just used the length of the markings on the stick, no measuring
(04-07-2018, 09:15 AM)EricU Wrote: I thought the whole idea of a story stick is that you just used the length of the markings on the stick, no measuring

It sounds like he is using one end of the ruler, and one clamp, not two clamps.  At 10" it is easy to tell which is the short end and which is the wrong end.  When it is near center, it is not so easy.

Another option is to put a bit of paint, or permanent marker on one end. Yet another option is to drill a hole on one end, where it will not interfere with the process.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
A story stick is a stick you mark measurements on ( say wall plumbing in a kitchen, a window opening) and take that stick to the shop and use those markings in building cabinets and cutting holes in said cabinets for the plumbing. Etc etc etc
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I was, but for reference here it was necessary to point out that when near the middle of the stick, which in this case is a 48” aluminum ruler, it makes for possible errors.