Dresser Back Question
Question on my dresser design.  On the back, I'm planning on two 3/4"x4" boards across the back for stability/support.  I was planning on just covering the rest with 1/4" plywood.  I'm wondering if I should make that plywood thicker and use it for structural support as well.  I'm trying to think of the worst-case scenario where the dresser would only have the weight on two of the legs being hauled by a furniture dolly.

Thanks in advance.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Personally I'd go with ply as the main structural component. 

Because it's the back you don't need expensive ply, it solves a lot of design issues, it's simple, and the box frame should be pretty much bomb proof once it's all assembled. A sturdy ply back will give it incredible resistance to wracking, AND cover the back of the cabinet in one easy step.
I think the original plan will work just fine, and so will using just the 1/2" ply....at least as far as structural strength. I don't have a preference between them, but would likely choose the first option..
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I like 1/2" ply for dresser backs. Plus you can drop it down to within an inch or so of the floor to help solidify the legs.
There's very little structural support provided by the back panel, since it's mounted in a frame.  1/4" ply is plenty adequate, IMO.  Ply also solves any movement issues of a large panel.  If you went to 1/2", you'd get negligible benefit and it'll make your dresser a whole lot heavier.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
the dressers ive built( only 5 i think) had 1/4" ply back that was nailed to the perimeter and each drawer divider. the first one was built for myself 13 years ago, has moved to 3 different houses plus moved in the rooms a few times over those years and it is still as solid as they day i constructed it.
if that one is going to be moved on a dolly, i would set the dresser on a piece of plywood then lift with the dolly. i dont think i would want the back to go down past the bottom of the carcass.
Yes that will work fine.  Be sure to screw, not nail or staple.

A frame and pane back is a classic way to do do it. Glue in the panel and it will be rock solid.

The middle stile can be used to support the center of the rear dividers, which will add a lot of rigidity.
I've always used Narrow Crown Staples to hold in 1/4" plywood backs.  A couple dozen pieces over a few decades without issue.
WoodNET... the new safespace