Harbor Freight trip
(03-25-2018, 11:36 PM)EdL Wrote: My Horror Fraught purchases are few & far between.....last time it was a small furniture dolly to move the compactor around.

Probably grab a bucket-o-bungee cords when the new store opens.

At least it's right next door to Walmart....
Laugh  the Walmartians won't have to go out of their way to shop.

Ed

I like their cheap floor mats; the furniture dollies, the nitrile gloves for finishing; the benchtop buffing machine, air hose fittings, and the real bargain was the diamond tipped blades for the oscillating tool, they were simply awesome and 1/4 the price of the name brand stuff, I ground out grout along the floor line of my shower and the blade still has legs.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I replaced a blown 5 hp Snow King flat-head engine on my primary snowblower with the HF 6.5 hp engine for $99 with super coupon.  It looks just like the Subaru Robin OHV engine on my pressure washer.  Ball or roller bearings on the crank.  Starts on the first pull.  My old engine had the straight shaft, so it was a one-to-one changeout.  Even the bolt pattern and threaded holes in the crankcase (for the belt retainers or pump drive or whatever) matched.  Only the shaft bolt was different, so I used a metric bolt instead.  

And it's strong and quiet; much quieter than the Tecumseh.  It just powers through stuff that would make me instinctively take narrow cuts and go super slow with the original engine that I've been using for 25 years.  More fuel efficient, from what I can tell, though that's hardly a consideration for a residential snowblower, even up here at ~100" per year average.

I'm still not used to it, as I took my loading cues from the sound of the old engine, but now I can mostly hear the impeller rather than the exhaust, and I have to re-tune my ear.

Extended warranty was another $50, but for half the cost of new for a 2-year warranty, I'll take my chances.  So far it's been flawless.  I think it's one of their elusive gems-at-junk-pricepoint offerings.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-26-2018, 10:22 AM)thooks Wrote: Buying at HF, you just have to look at the situation you are going to be using the stuff for and determine if you will be satisfied if it makes it through the specific project or through your lifetime.

A guy I work with has a philosophy on HF.  He says he never buys anything at HF that could hurt or kill him if it failed.  That's pretty general, but probably not a bad place to start.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I've  been buying from the Happy Fella tool company for at least 45 years now, and I have done pretty well with their tools.   My first were air tools, a couple of which I still use today.   Sure they sell junk, who doesn't, but, they don't charge you retail for it either.
Yes

It's true you're much better off knowing about what it is you were buying, but those days appear to be coming to an end.   They have succeeded in killing off much of the competition, and now are moving up scale a little, heading for a much bigger share of the "color coordinated" retail market.   

I have bought numerous tools in most if not all categories from them, and, with only a very few exceptions, been pleased with the purchases.  I've returned maybe 3 or 4 tools in all the years I've been a customer.

Don't get me wrong, I've got my share of Bosch, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Stanley etc., but I buy tools to use, not collect.
(03-26-2018, 07:54 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I replaced a blown 5 hp Snow King flat-head engine on my primary snowblower with the HF 6.5 hp engine for $99 with super coupon.  It looks just like the Subaru Robin OHV engine on my pressure washer.  Ball or roller bearings on the crank.  Starts on the first pull.  My old engine had the straight shaft, so it was a one-to-one changeout.  Even the bolt pattern and threaded holes in the crankcase (for the belt retainers or pump drive or whatever) matched.  Only the shaft bolt was different, so I used a metric bolt instead.  

And it's strong and quiet; much quieter than the Tecumseh.  It just powers through stuff that would make me instinctively take narrow cuts and go super slow with the original engine that I've been using for 25 years.  More fuel efficient, from what I can tell, though that's hardly a consideration for a residential snowblower, even up here at ~100" per year average.

I'm still not used to it, as I took my loading cues from the sound of the old engine, but now I can mostly hear the impeller rather than the exhaust, and I have to re-tune my ear.

Extended warranty was another $50, but for half the cost of new for a 2-year warranty, I'll take my chances.  So far it's been flawless.  I think it's one of their elusive gems-at-junk-pricepoint offerings.

My off-brand rear-tine tiller has the same motor on it.  It's a nice engine.  This will be my fifth season with it.  Starts super-easy; never takes more than two pulls, even after sitting all winter.  Quiet compared to many.  Also has a fuel shutoff right next to the choke to make storage that much easier.
25% off coupon this saturday and sunday.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
A link to a perpetual HF coupon database. 

http://www.hfqpdb.com/browse

These coupons will work from your phone so you don't need to print them, unless you really want to.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
The new 44" box with deep drawers. It will be orderable in blue and black.

[Image: received_10211031657773526_zpsvehvyck6.jpeg]

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I don't understand why toolboxes have to be red.  Is a different color an upcharge?

At least those toolboxes have a reasonable number of drawers. HD has a number of very competitive tool chests right now, but they have about 2/3 the drawers that they should have. The ones with a decent number of drawers are usually a black friday special, which I don't understand at all.
(03-28-2018, 06:52 AM)EricU Wrote: I don't understand why toolboxes have to be red.  Is a different color an upcharge?

At least those toolboxes have a reasonable number of drawers.  HD has a number of very competitive tool chests right now, but they have about 2/3 the drawers that they should have.  The ones with a decent number of drawers are  usually a black friday special, which I don't understand at all.

There have already been coupons for this new tool chest too for $449. Check www.hfqpdb.com for latest coupons anytime.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.