Wooden Glass Coasters
Looking for suggestions for making wooden glass coasters. Ideally, i want to take and bore a small surface down into the surface. One suggestion is to get two forstner bits of the same diameter. Use one to locate and scribe the outside diameter. Then grind the point area off of the other bit to make a flat surface that would not show the point into the final work piece. Seem a waste to destroy the bit unless i plan on making lots of these. I them plan on routing a thin line on all 4 edges for a decorative finish. Nothing fancy but in Pudauk wood, will be a killer keepsake.
Make slices of 4" diameter tree limbs.  Add silicon feet and a poly finish.  Make it live edge and leave the bark in place.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If you have a router, make a jig/baseplate that lets you rout the inset into the coaster. If the coaster is cut round, and the jig has a hole in in where the diameter is some dimension less than 2x the diameter of the coaster, then you can move the router side to side and never come closer than that dimension to the edge of the coaster. if you have a lathe, do it on the lathe.
(03-22-2018, 03:14 PM)Tide Pride Wrote: Looking for suggestions for making wooden glass coasters. Ideally, i want to take and bore a small surface down into the surface. One suggestion is to get two forstner bits of the same diameter. Use one to locate and scribe the outside diameter. Then grind the point area off of the other bit to make a flat surface that would not show the point into the final work piece. Seem a waste to destroy the bit unless i plan on making lots of these. I them plan on routing a thin line on all 4 edges for a decorative finish. Nothing fancy but in Pudauk wood, will be a killer keepsake.

Since you're in the hand tool area, make a template out of something reasonably hard for the area you wish to excavate.  1/4" MDF maybe.

Align onto the coaster blank and use double sided tape to hold down.  Trace around outside several times with a sharp marking knife or razor knife.

Remove template and begin to gently excavate waste with sharp chisels.  Don't go to full depth and perhaps use carving chisels to stab in to keep wall moving down with excavation (or straight chisels, just whatever fits the profile).  Get out the router plane and finalize the depth.

I'm assuming you are planning to glue in a cork piece?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin