Makita Planer Momentary Stops/Slips - Causes?
When my Dewalt stalls I just wax it up.
(03-23-2018, 10:26 AM)giradman Wrote: Thanks All for the additional comments!  As stated before, I'll clean and wax the planer bed and see what happens on my next project - if still a problem, then cleaning the rollers would be my next step - now, if 'new' rollers were needed, $70 to $100 each would hurt - could use the $150+ and just buy a new planer?

Also, I went on the Makita website to leave them an email but could not find a 'Contact Us' email address just a phone call - will take a another look - if anyone reading this thread knows their email contact, please let me know.  Thanks again.  Dave
Smile

Just a quick follow-up - I cleaned and waxed the planer bed and ran a couple of pieces of maple through a half dozen times today - no problem at all - will see w/ my next 'major' project but hope all will go well and I do not need to deal w/ the rollers - if so, I'll give Makita a call first.  Dave
Smile

P.S. still curious about 'cleaning' the rollers - as mentioned before, I can see about half the circumference of the rollers when the motor complex is raised high - can the rollers be cleaned in that position?  Of course, the planer would need to be turned on and off several times to clean the entire roller surfaces?
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-24-2018, 01:14 PM)Lynden Wrote: There is a lot of information on the web about recovering rubber rollers. Here's an example....

"I highly recommend Western Roller. Had two done for my Makita 2030 and they came back better than new and should last much, much longer than the OEM rollers. They already know the specs for the machine, so you just send them in and they take care of the rest. Not sure of the current prices, but having two recovered most likely will be less than half of what a single new roller would cost you."

makita planer roller recovering

That was probably from one of my postings.....
Cool
Could be some or all of the above. However, you say that the wood you are planing is S2S. How well was it planed S2S? I have planed a lot of wood with my Dewalt and having the momentary hang-up is not too uncommon. Usually when it happens with my planer it is because there is a place in the plank where it is thinner and the rollers lose traction. I tug it or push it and it starts up again. Usually, the next pass or the one after that goes through continuously. The same can happen if you have the cut depth a bit to low and you encounter a slightly thicker spot. If that happens just raise the cut a half turn and continue on. Then, go back to the previous cut (or less) for the next pass.
It happens to all the lunch box planers eventually.  The rollers pick up residue from the wood.  I take mine (a Delta) and crank it up to max height.  Then I blow all the wood chips out from it with the compressor.  Then I spray T9 on the bed and clean it up.  Last thing is to take a rag and put naptha on it, then wipe the rollers.  Then I switch it on and off quickly. Wait for it to stop 
Big Grin
Big Grin and then wipe again.  With a mirror or in the reflection of the bed you can see what part of the roller is cleaned and what needs to be done.  Just rinse and repeat until the roller is completely clean.
(04-10-2018, 02:16 PM)Pondracer Wrote: It happens to all the lunch box planers eventually.  The rollers pick up residue from the wood.  I take mine (a Delta) and crank it up to max height.  Then I blow all the wood chips out from it with the compressor.  Then I spray T9 on the bed and clean it up.  Last thing is to take a rag and put naptha on it, then wipe the rollers.  Then I switch it on and off quickly. Wait for it to stop 
Big Grin
Big Grin and then wipe again.  With a mirror or in the reflection of the bed you can see what part of the roller is cleaned and what needs to be done.  Just rinse and repeat until the roller is completely clean.

Thanks Pondracer - you answer my questions, i.e. cleaning the rollers from below - if I have a problem w/ my next project, then I'll clean the rollers w/ naptha as you describe - if still a problem, the will give Makita a call.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Not sure how I missed this thread before now, but I had that exact planer and had a similar problem. The fix for me was to remove the chain, clean it thoroughly, and apply new lubricant. If you watch it run with the chain cover off, you will see that the chain links are stiff and they catch an extra gear tooth on the way around. I know you said you lubed it, but it is as though the factory lube becomes sticky over time and the chan links stay straight instead of sagging with gravity and you need to get the old lube off. Maybe this isn't your problem, but I would definitely try it before spending money on new rollers.
I found a link that probably explains it better than I did.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Tr...blems.html
(04-10-2018, 10:29 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Not sure how I missed this thread before now, but I had that exact planer and had a similar problem. The fix for me was to remove the chain, clean it thoroughly, and apply new lubricant. If you watch it run with the chain cover off, you will see that the chain links are stiff and they catch an extra gear tooth on the way around.  I know you said you lubed it, but it is as though the factory lube becomes sticky over time and the chan links stay straight instead of sagging with gravity and you need to get the old lube off. Maybe this isn't your problem, but I would definitely try it before spending money on new rollers.

(04-10-2018, 10:37 PM)BrentDH Wrote: I found a link that probably explains it better than I did.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Tr...blems.html

Thanks for the above - the chain looked and ran well when I observed, so just put on some machine oil - if the problem recurs, I'll put that suggestion on my list, along w/ cleaning the rollers.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-10-2018, 10:29 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Not sure how I missed this thread before now, but I had that exact planer and had a similar problem. The fix for me was to remove the chain, clean it thoroughly, and apply new lubricant. If you watch it run with the chain cover off, you will see that the chain links are stiff and they catch an extra gear tooth on the way around.  I know you said you lubed it, but it is as though the factory lube becomes sticky over time and the chan links stay straight instead of sagging with gravity and you need to get the old lube off. Maybe this isn't your problem, but I would definitely try it before spending money on new rollers.

Same for me when my Makita 2012NB  planer was few months old, you could see chain skipping with cover off an running.  Removed chain and soaked in solvent, lubed well and reinstalled, no more skipping.
Periodically, did have to clean rollers, but that was different issue for me as board might stick an then go if you push it a little.