Something to sharpen a draw knife
Which I watched on YouTube and thought it was kind of neat.

and Part 2

So has anyone seen this on the market yet or tried one?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yep, I tried it at a woodworking show and it worked. I made a generic one based on the jig and works well. Not as well as the original, but I don't use my draw knife all that much.
(03-22-2018, 07:54 PM)mvflaim Wrote: Yep, I tried it at a woodworking show and it worked. I made a generic one based on the jig and works well. Not as well as the original, but I don't use my draw knife all that much.

Maybe if it is not to much to ask could you show it and maybe how you made it?

I know I would love to have one to make it easier for me and the vets.  We use both of mine quite a lot taking bark off of things we are going to turn and a dull one is NO help.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It works. If you need to restore the edge on a drawknife, get one.

For just regular maintenance honing, you can just use a regular whetstone. There are a number of ways to hold either the stone or the drawknife and get consistent results. Same with a strop. That's what I do.

But if the edge of the drawknife is chipped, or if you just have trouble keeping a consistent angle while sharpening, the Drawsharp is absolutely the way to go.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(03-22-2018, 07:47 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Which I watched on YouTube and thought it was kind of neat.

and Part 2

So has anyone seen this on the market yet or tried one?
The 1X30" belt sander from HF will make short work of what some folks take hours to accomplish..plus it can sharpen just about any tool you have if used properly and with the right grinding/stropping belts..once sharpened just a few seconds on the stropping belt puts it back in hair-popping condition.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-...60543.html
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-24-2018, 01:41 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
The 1X30" belt sander from HF will make short work of what some folks take hours to accomplish..plus it can sharpen just about any tool you have if used properly and with the right grinding/stropping belts..once sharpened just a few seconds on the stropping belt puts it back in hair-popping condition.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-...60543.html

Jack

Ken from https://woodturnerswonders.com/ just let me put on layaway a Rikon 1/2hp grinder and 1000 CBN wheel and I will use that once I pay it off.  He was so nice to talk to and helped me and the guys by doing this.  This will replace the over heating grinder I have now.  He is letting me make $50 a month payments.

So Thanks to Pat I now have a vise and a friend and he will be helping make my router table and RAS table and some Cabinets and Thanks to Ken I will have a grinder.

Arlin, it's been on the market for several years now. Available from Benchcrafted or Lie-Nielsen, and I suspect a couple of other outlets. I have one and I find it provides a very consistent bevel.   I have also used my Drawsharp to flatten the back side of a couple of my drawknives.  As Jack mentioned, a belt sander is a lot quicker to use to repair an edge or establish a new bevel.  As with many honing guides, it's not for everybody.  It does, however make life easier for those who have unsteady hands or difficulty freehanding, which is pretty much your only option sharpening a drawknife otherwise.  Especially a curved drawknife.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think the utility of the drawsharp is not so much in what it lets you do, as a simple stone will do it and a belt sander will do it faster. The special feature is what the drawsharp will not let you do, which is mess up your tool. A stone in unpracticed hands can, and a belt sander can do it pretty quickly and thoroughly too.

If you use a drawknife a lot, and want the edge to be set up in a very specific way, the drawsharp might pay off in precision. But since I just feel for where it begins to cut, I am happy with the edge I get from simple oilstones.
(03-24-2018, 05:43 PM)Alan S Wrote: I think the utility of the drawsharp is not so much in what it lets you do, as a simple stone will do it and a belt sander will do it faster.  The special feature is what the drawsharp will not let you do, which is mess up your tool.  A stone in unpracticed hands can, and a belt sander can do it pretty quickly and thoroughly too.

If you use a drawknife a lot, and want the edge to be set up in a very specific way, the drawsharp might pay off in precision.  But since I just feel for where it begins to cut, I am happy with the edge I get from simple oilstones.
" and a belt sander can do it pretty quickly and thoroughly too"

As fast as they can sharpen a tool, they can dull one..
Crazy  This is where lots of "perfect practice" comes in handy. Practice only counts if it's perfect or nearly so...
Big Grin

That's the reason I made my slow-speed horizontal belt grinder...takes twice as long to ruin an edge!
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I purchased a Draw Sharp about 2 years ago. I have yet to use it. It looks a good idea, and is well made. The reason it lies on the shelf is that I hollow ground all my drawknives, all 4 of them, when I readied them for use - which they get - and the hollow makes them easy to hone with ceramic waterstones and paddles. Look up Curtis Buchanan sharpening a drawknife on YouTube for a video on the hollow grinding method.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com