more definitions
You are an intermediate woodworker if you can fix your mistakes without starting with a new piece of wood.

A journeyman can fix his own mistakes, while a master can fix the mistakes of his apprentices.
(03-23-2018, 07:18 AM)Cloudy Wrote: You are an intermediate woodworker if you can fix your mistakes without starting with a new piece of wood.

A journeyman can fix his own mistakes, while a master can fix the mistakes of his her apprentices.

Fixed.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(03-23-2018, 07:18 AM)Cloudy Wrote: You are an intermediate woodworker if you can fix your mistakes without starting with a new piece of wood.

A journeyman can fix his own mistakes, while a master can fix the mistakes of -his their apprentices.

I think the gender police and grammar gestapo are trying to de-genderize specific pronouns(?). I was too young to know, but I think this effort is a return to a classic era. There were issues then that caused the move to the current misogynist form. Probably, multiple complications. I won't go to the master/mistress conundrum. My preference is to let the term move to a genderless title. 

My mother always delighted in her male label as an author. The critics bent on gendered differences might eventually learn their mistake.
(03-23-2018, 11:19 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I think the gender police and grammar gestapo are trying to de-genderize specific pronouns(?). I was too young to know, but I think this effort is a return to a classic era. There were issues then that caused the move to the current misogynist form. Probably, multiple complications. I won't go to the master/mistress conundrum. My preference is to let the term move to a genderless title. 

My mother always delighted in her male label as an author. The critics bent on gendered differences might eventually learn their mistake.

I actually default to the feminine gender when faced with "his" or "her" just to try and balance out the untold decades (centuries??) of masculine preferences.  I've been doing this since the 70's; before "politically correct" was only a communist slogan; it only gained its current meaning sometime in the 80s.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Aw, geez. Normally I write "he or she" as a matter of course--most of my immediate coworkers are female these days--but I figure that Catherine knows what she's doing. A lady is allowed to use old-school English if she wants, and far be it from me to correct her!

Back to the definition, I think it's a really good one. It also presupposes that a master has apprentices. And that's true. It's amazing how much you learn when you try to pass your knowledge down to a new generation. You never really know if you've mastered your trade until you've tried to teach somebody else how to do it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
While a Carpenter can have a Painter cover his mistakes.....a Doctor has an Undertaker bury his....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-23-2018, 11:31 PM)bandit571 Wrote: While a Carpenter can have a Painter cover his mistakes.....a Doctor has an Undertaker bury his....

Putty and paint
makes us what we ain't

Learned that as a carpenter apprentice
Seems like a solid definition to me.

In regards to the pronoun, becoming a teacher changed how I think about. So often groups of people are referred to as "you guys" whether there are girls or not. I asked myself how many men would be ok if the group they were in was referred to as "you girls" instead. Its so common that I even hear girls referring to their girl friends as 'you guys'. I always try to address the class as a whole with generic terms like 'everyone' or both pronouns like "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen".

If you think this kind of discussion is the "gender police and grammar gestapo" (great terms by the way) getting carried away, ask yourself what would happen if you started addressing groups as "hey you girls" or "you gals" instead of 'you guys'.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(03-28-2018, 10:12 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: If you think this kind of discussion is the "gender police and grammar gestapo" (great terms by the way) getting carried away, ask yourself what would happen if you started addressing groups as "hey you girls" or "you gals" instead of 'you guys'.

Meh. Seems like we were called "ladies" an awful lot during basic training.
Laugh
(03-28-2018, 06:37 PM)Lucky Irish Wrote: Meh. Seems like we were called "ladies" an awful lot during basic training.
Laugh
Yep...especially
Rolleyes
Laugh when the D.I's were feeling "complimentary"......
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset