more definitions
(03-28-2018, 10:12 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Seems like a solid definition to me.

In regards to the pronoun, becoming a teacher changed how I think about. So often groups of people are referred to as "you guys" whether there are girls or not. I asked myself how many men would be ok if the group they were in was referred to as "you girls" instead. Its so common that I even hear girls referring to their girl friends as 'you guys'. I always try to address the class as a whole with generic terms like 'everyone' or both pronouns like "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen".

If you think this kind of discussion is the "gender police and grammar gestapo" (great terms by the way) getting carried away, ask yourself what would happen if you started addressing groups as "hey you girls" or "you gals" instead of 'you guys'.

People down here in the South fix that by just using "y'all."  I haven't adopted it into my regular vocabulary--not yet, anyway--but I fully admit its usefulness as a pronoun!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(03-23-2018, 09:28 AM)Jim Waldron Wrote: Fixed.

Hardly. Proper syntax would demand gender agreement, which your "-man / he /she" violates.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-29-2018, 10:19 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: People down here in the South fix that by just using "y'all."  I haven't adopted it into my regular vocabulary--not yet, anyway--but I fully admit its usefulness as a pronoun!

Russian uses a plural noun - "gospoda" to cover both masculine "gospodin" and feminine "gospozha" genders.  

Since "you" is either singular or plural, it'll due. 

The term lady or gentleman was meant to dignify back in its day.  Not applicable to today's ill-mannered crowds.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-30-2018, 08:26 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: The term lady or gentleman was meant to dignify back in its day.  Not applicable to today's ill-mannered crowds.

That is a good point. When I use Ladies and Gentlemen to address students it's kind of tongue-in-cheek. Most of the time I really want to call them boys and girls but high school kids get a bit annoyed by that. I should take a hint from Southerners and use use Yall and Folks.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Heard on jobsites...
Uhoh

"Well, you'll have that on the bigger jobs.."
"Looks good from my house.."
"Not building a Piano here...."
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Heard on jobsites... Uhoh

"Well, you'll have that on the bigger jobs.."
"Looks good from my house.."
"Not building a Piano here...."

I’ve also heard:
“It’s good enough for the girls I date.”
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
I just used...

Youse
and
Yutes

Crazy

Okay, so i'm not cousin Vinny.... 
Big Grin
I would normally avoid any controversy by using the royal "we."

I think we should ...
If WE take a different attitude with this issue....

Meaning...  If you all grow up a bit.... 
Cool
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I try to use woperson as much as I can.

Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Much ado about nothing!

Meaning:
Winkgrin