Building a Mobile Base for a Minimax Saw
So I am moving on after losing my war with Minimax and getting my saw repaired and ready to go to work.  First order of business is to make the saw mobile.  I don't do a lot of side-to-side moves, but forward and backward is essential.  Its hefty and closes in on 1000 lbs, so it was critical that the base be sturdy enough to deal with that.  Dan over at Lion Welding in Lombard put it together, and the guys over at Renew Machinery Restoration blasted the scale off and shot it with a hard enamel that they use on utility trucks.  The casters came from U-Line I think, they were 6" and rated 400 lbs each.  The front two casters swivel and lock

[Image: MinimaxSawMobileBase.png]

I had a frigid 10F day when the fudge (ahhh... the use of utensil references is blocked...) lift rental company did the lift and raised it into the base

[Image: liftingsaw.png]

My lack of engineering background was apparent after I got it in the base.  I should have had one more swivel because this caster drags.  Its not bad, but for future reference if you ever build a base for one of these things.

[Image: MinimaxSawinBase.png]
Wow, that is one nice mobile base. I guess there's not enough room in that spot to just replace the fixed wheel with a swivel..still really nice.  Also glad to see you moved on from the problems, congrats!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes, that is a very nice base.  The reason that caster is dragging when you try turning the machine is because it's not in the same plane as the other, fixed caster and turns a different radius.  Pretty easy oversight to make.  But why not just jack up that end of the machine a little and replace it with one that swivels?  

John
(03-24-2018, 10:10 AM)jteneyck Wrote: But why not just jack up that end of the machine a little and replace it with one that swivels?  

And if the same castoring wheel doesn't fit, pick the fixed wheel with the lowest load, and use a smaller caster, spaced out to fit.  It could even be moved away from the interference a little bit with another plate bolted under the existing mount, assuming it's a smaller wheel, using flathead machine screws if necessary to not interfere with existing structure or the new wheel mounting plate.

Or the same wheel as the other castors could be used by bolting a plate on top of the existing mounting surface, and mounting the wheel further away, filling the space between the castor plate and the extension plate with washers or a strip of plate the same thickness as the existing mounting plate.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-24-2018, 11:43 AM)TDKPE Wrote: And if the same castoring wheel doesn't fit, pick the fixed wheel with the lowest load, and use a smaller caster, spaced out to fit.  It could even be moved away from the interference a little bit with another plate bolted under the existing mount, assuming it's a smaller wheel, using flathead machine screws if necessary to not interfere with existing structure or the new wheel mounting plate.

Or the same wheel as the other castors could be used by bolting a plate on top of the existing mounting surface, and mounting the wheel further away, filling the space between the castor plate and the extension plate with washers or a strip of plate the same thickness as the existing mounting plate.

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing, except I hadn't thought about putting the plate on top.  This is a great idea.  Solves my problem with keeping the 6" caster.  There is an issue with clearance, the two swivel casters required more offset to work, but this would solve that.  I am waiting to see after I get the saw working as to how much the drag bothers me or is even used.  Its a big saw in my shop, I don't think there is going to be much side to side movement.
(03-23-2018, 09:04 PM)Pondracer Wrote: Dan over at Lion Welding in Lombard put it together, and the guys over at Renew Machinery Restoration blasted the scale off and shot it with a hard enamel that they use on utility trucks...

Good to know.