Does this bother anyone else? H&L question
I've always used PSA sanding discs on my ROS sanders.

The few times I've tried hook and loop discs I've thought I've felt it was a slight cushion between the disc and the pad.  

Is this just me or do other folks feel the same thing?

I've got two sanders and keep different grits on them so reusing discs isn't important to me it seems H&L is taking over.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(03-24-2018, 08:30 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always used PSA sanding discs on my ROS sanders.

The few times I've tried hook and loop discs I've thought I've felt it was a slight cushion between the disc and the pad.  

I've got two sanders and keep different grits on them so reusing discs isn't important to me it seems H&L is taking over.

Boy, I gave up PSA decades ago and have gone through a number of H&L brand sanders - now use 2 from Festool, both H&L - cannot imagine ever returning to glued on sanding discs - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-24-2018, 08:30 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always used PSA sanding discs on my ROS sanders.

The only drawback with H&L is the pad will eventually wear out and need to be replaced but at $20 it's cheaper than a second sander.
A carpenter's house is never done.

H&L took over 20+ years ago. The only guys still using psa discs are the auto body industry. I had a psa sander years ago and hated it. Disc changes were a pain and often you had to heat up the pad to get the remnants of stubborn discs off. 

As for the cushion in woodworking it can be a benefit sometimes and help reduce screwups. 

The sanders I grab first are the ones that have the most affordable replacement discs. I get 2 packs on amazon for most of my sanders for around $15 pr depending on sander. My favorite sander is my Metabo but it gets used less due to the pricey and harder to get pads. 

Oh I also take my used discs and cut a 2" pad from the center of them. That area gets little wear and those can be used on my small pneumatic 2" ROS.
PSA discs are half the price of H&L, plus the pads don't wear out like H&L.
I use all PSA, refusing to get trapped in the expensive H&L discs
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-25-2018, 08:20 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: PSA discs are half the price of H&L, plus the pads don't wear out like H&L.
I use all PSA, refusing to get trapped in the expensive H&L discs

The pad on my Bosch was at least 4 years old and still worked fine until I forgot to put a disk on it!  A new one cost $12.  H&L disks cost more than PSA ones, but you can pull them off 50 times if you want and they stick fine.  Can't do that with PSA.  

Convenience has won out over initial cost for most folks.  

John
Put on an interface pad from Mirka. You will only kill a $3-$5 sub pad instead.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It's does feel softer to me (H&L versus the PSA) but it doesn't seem to matter. No way would I use PSA pads...one use and they're done, H&L can be switched back and forth several times...which I often do. My Bosch ROS is older than I can remember and the pad is still good. Heat is the real enemy of the pads, and a lot of guys press down on them hard...if you do that maybe PSA is better.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The PSA is all we used in the Air Force and once a month they got so packed with the left over paper I had the guys warm them up and peel everything off.  I liked them since the discs would not fly off but getting them off was hard sometimes to and left pieces on pieces until it had to be cleaned off.

Now I wish I had one for some turning sanding but like the H&L to.  H&L has problems with the paper coming off and the Hook wearing off and needing replaced or where the H&L just gets hot and peals off.

Tough choice between the two unless it is the Jitter bug sander or the 1/4 sander which just flip two levers and put some back on.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-25-2018, 09:41 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The pad on my Bosch was at least 4 years old and still worked fine until I forgot to put a disk on it!  A new one cost $12.  H&L disks cost more than PSA ones, but you can pull them off 50 times if you want and they stick fine.  Can't do that with PSA.  

Convenience has won out over initial cost for most folks.  

John

I never pull a disc off till it's wore out.
And some have said that they had the paper tear and build up. Seldom does that ever happen to me. Normally I don't sit on my sander.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020