Does this bother anyone else? H&L question
(03-25-2018, 02:46 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: The PSA is all we used in the Air Force and once a month they got so packed with the left over paper I had the guys warm them up and peel everything off.  I liked them since the discs would not fly off but getting them off was hard sometimes to and left pieces on pieces until it had to be cleaned off.

Now I wish I had one for some turning sanding but like the H&L to.  H&L has problems with the paper coming off and the Hook wearing off and needing replaced or where the H&L just gets hot and peals off.

Tough choice between the two unless it is the Jitter bug sander or the 1/4 sander which just flip two levers and put some back on.

(03-25-2018, 04:53 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I never pull a disc off till it's wore out.
And some have said that they had the paper tear and build up. Seldom does that ever happen to me. Normally I don't sit on my sander.
Laugh

Boy, I must live in an 'alternate universe' - as stated before, I switched to H&L several decades ago, first w/ P-C sanders, then Bosch, and finally bought 2 Festools w/ their H&L papers - these hold well, can be easily removed and reused, and never have had one deconstruct on me - 
Laugh

Now, I'm not using these on a daily or at times even a weekly basis - do not put much pressure at all on the sanders, i.e. let them do the work - plus the dust collection holes are excellent when hooked to a shop vac - cannot remember if that is even an option on sanders w/ PSA papers, but an important consideration for me.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I generally use a right angle sander with PSA. But, I also do more auto-body work than woodwork. Once in a while I'll use my ROS for finer grits (220,320). But for material removal, I always use the right angle and PSA. It's just so much more aggressive and faster. I'll burn up the hook and loop plattens and the hook and loop sanding discs are expensive. So for speed and cost, I prefer PSA. Whether it's woodworking or body work, I still do the lions share of sanding with a sanding block with the 3M Gold 2-3/4 wide PSA longboard abrasive rolls. Block sanding may take a while but you'll get a nice flat finished surface. It just looks better. I'm really surprised more woodworkers don't use the hard foam sanding blocs (like these) with the PSA abrasive. It's fast, much cheaper than buying 8x10 sheets, the blocks are light as a feather and very durable and does a great job.

But back to the question. I prefer PSA, less fuss and cheaper. $.50 a disc for the hook and loop vs $.25. I'll take the $.25
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-24-2018, 08:30 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always used PSA sanding discs on my ROS sanders.

The few times I've tried hook and loop discs I've thought I've felt it was a slight cushion between the disc and the pad.  

Is this just me or do other folks feel the same thing?

I've got two sanders and keep different grits on them so reusing discs isn't important to me it seems H&L is taking over.

Yeah, you can feel the cushion.  Some might suggest if it causes a problem, you're using too much pressure.
(03-24-2018, 08:30 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always used PSA sanding discs on my ROS sanders.

(03-25-2018, 04:53 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I never pull a disc off till it's wore out.

(03-25-2018, 05:46 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I prefer PSA, less fuss and cheaper.

Ditto.  I have multiple sanders and have one dedicated to each grit.  I bought the PSA sandpaper in bulk many years ago, and am still working my way through that supply.  Admittedly my project count has been minimal in recent years and my use of a ROS much lesser still - I typically hand sand when needed if at all.  If I was starting off today, I may go H&L though with just one sander since that's seemingly the standard nowadays and easier to find at the local BORG.
(03-25-2018, 07:29 PM)Cian Wrote: Ditto.  I have multiple sanders and have one dedicated to each grit.  I bought the PSA sandpaper in bulk many years ago, and am still working my way through that supply.  Admittedly my project count has been minimal in recent years and my use of a ROS much lesser still - I typically hand sand when needed if at all.  If I was starting off today, I may go H&L though with just one sander since that's seemingly the standard nowadays and easier to find at the local BORG.

Not at my local HD, I need some 8 hole paper for my Festool 150/3 sander and when I went to get some all they had was the Diablo brand which was advertised as universal for ANY 6 or 8 hole ROS, I figured I might have to punch a hole in the middle no big deal, got home and the holes maybe lined up with one hole, took them back and ordered from Klinspor.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
I can’t believe folks are using PSA still.

For H&L, quicker changes means you change them more often and use fresh paper instead of wore out PSA paper. I have 4 sanders setup with each grit. But I’d rather have 1 H&L than 4 PSA any day.
(03-28-2018, 10:03 AM)cvillewood Wrote: I can’t believe folks are using PSA still.

That's all I've ever used. H&L didn't stay in my shop very long due to the cost of the paper, and the pads not lasting.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-28-2018, 11:42 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: That's all I've ever used. H&L didn't stay in my shop very long due to the cost of the paper, and the pads not lasting.

Would I be wrong in guessing you have more than a single sander, with different sanders loaded with different grits?
(03-28-2018, 11:45 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Would I be wrong in guessing you have more than a single sander, with different sanders loaded with different grits?

You would be wrong. I have two 6" sanders. Both *usually* have the same grit paper on them.

After the Festool 150/3 acquired residency here, the Bosch sander became a backup sander to be used if I need to move past the area where my Fein vacuum resides. The Festool stays hooked to the vacuum. No I don't roll it around.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020