Miniwax Polycrylic
(11-09-2019, 06:23 PM)flip Wrote: I am new to Polycrylic and need some advice.  I have no spray equipment so brush, roller, or wipe or the approached available to me.  Can says only brush.  Am concerned about brush marks.  Should I be?  Have brush applied it to a scrap of plywood after painting it with a WB paint.  Awful!! Any advice appreciated.

Keep your brush wet wet, and don't dilly dally around.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-10-2019, 04:22 PM)flip Wrote: Thanks.  I'll find them.

From the company that has almost everything:  Extender

John
Thanks. That's really good to know.

Comparing the Clear to th3 Endurovar, which is the harder?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(11-10-2019, 08:04 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Thanks.  That's really good to know.

Comparing the Clear to th3 Endurovar, which is the harder?

Clear Poly is the hardest of GF's non catalyzed finishes.  Has the highest abrasion resistance, too, IIRC.  EnduroVar has slightly better chemical resistance but Clear Poly is good against most things one normally would use to clean with, and better by far than High Performance Poly (I often wonder how it got that name.).    

Let me add for general consumption to avoid using ammonia containing cleaners on any finish.  People pick up a bottle of Windex or Fantastic or 409 and just start cleaning everything.  Short term exposure isn't too bad on most finishes, but even a minute or so of leaving Windex "with Ammonia D" on some finishes causes permanent damage or leaves a blue stain.  Dish soapy water and mineral spirits are your two best friends for cleaning furniture, cabinets, etc.  

John
Can I put Clear Poly over Endurovar?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

(11-11-2019, 07:35 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Can I put Clear Poly over Endurovar?

Absolutely not.  I tried it on a sample once and it came off easily with a thumb nail.  

You could explore putting a coat of Sealcoat shellac on as an intermediary.  One a sample first, of course.  

John
Whew! Glad I asked—I almost didn’t because I assumed it would be OK.

THANK YOU.
Carolyn

For flat horizontal surfaces, I must Windex onto wet Polycrylic to make it level.

Windex is commonly used as a thinner of WB products in the airbrushing community.
(11-11-2019, 10:13 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: For flat horizontal surfaces, I must Windex onto wet Polycrylic to make it level.

Windex is commonly used as a thinner of WB products in the airbrushing community.

Makes sense.  Windex contains surfactants and ammonia just like many WB products.  

Why do you mist it on?  Why not just add some before hand?  Seems like you'd have to put the Polycrylic on pretty heavy in order for it to still be wet enough to flow, especially on a large surface.  

John