Blueprint drafting cabinet
Anyone have one of these in the shop and repurposed it for storage ideas? Drawers look pretty thin.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When I was a picture framer I made a 48” x 48” cabinet with about 44” x 36” drawers. It was a bit crude but it is still functional (I have it at home now) and about 20 years old. I can describe the construction to you if you are OK with “back room” equipment, and not furniture.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A good friend has two and he actually keeps blueprints and drawings in them.  If I had the space, I would have one.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
They make great tool boxes.   They of course come in various drawer depths, up to about 4" or so.   I've had two of them in the tractor shed for at least 20 + years now.  

Some times you can find them for next to nothing, at surplus and used office places.
(03-26-2018, 02:41 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Anyone have one of these in the shop and repurposed it for storage ideas? Drawers look pretty thin.

I use mine for storage of veneers. Works great!
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
I keep my collection of Beanie Babbies in one, very easy to keep them organized.
I had six oak flat files in my office, stacked in pairs as shown in the picture below. Each pair was on a separate base and the lid was also separate. I moved the base to the top of each stack and hinged the lid at the back. I made one of the bases into a nice light table and the other two were used for storage. The three stacks were arranged as an island in the center of a large room. The island made a long layout table for looking at plans.

The way the drawers are constructed in oak flat files, they could be easily modified to make a few deeper drawers.

[Image: blueprint-cabinet-canada-new-blueprint-f...t-file.png]
I put legs and casters on one section and a double thickness ply top: used for years as an outfeed table. Now serves as assembly table. Drawers used for bandsaw blades, and you guessed it--drawing storage!

Bob
Put a glass top on a nice looking one and it would make a nifty coffee table.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-26-2018, 08:34 PM)Joe Connors Wrote: I use mine for storage of veneers. Works great!

Same here, but they do have nice guides on them so I feel they would work good for tools as well. Mine are metal and are heavy duty. I got them used when they closed one of the GM plants by my house some years back.