Router Bit Storage - Preferences?
Hi All - a number of years ago, I built some storage into one of my work benches (see combo pic below) - dedicated a drawer to bits I had all around the shop in separate boxes/drawers/etc. - bought a few 'spongy' holders which accommodate both 1/4" & 1/2" bits - seems like a good idea but the fit is really tight making removal of bits tricky - have cut my fingers a few times.

So, I like the location of the bits and to have most avaialble in one place, but need another method of holding these bits for easier removal - I was thinking of modular wood/MDF/plywood units w/ drill holes (maybe 1/32" larger than the bit shanks) but wonder about wood swelling tightening down on the bit shanks?  I've seen other inserts on line, mostly plastic-type materials and think that the fit might be too tight, so back to 'ground zero' - thus, looking for some suggestions before replacing that sponge material.  Thanks - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Mine are in pkgs in a toolbox drawer shy of bits I use all the time in the cnc router. Those get stored in systainers in the pick and place foam.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I did the same. Drawers under the router cabinets.
But I didn't fall for buying the cushion holders.
Made mine out if 1/2" mdf board.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-26-2018, 05:09 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I did the same. Drawers under the router cabinets.
But I didn't fall for buying the cushion holders.
Made mine out if 1/2" mdf board.

Thanks Stwood - as mentioned, I'm thinking of switching to ply or MDF - what size holes worked for you regarding both 1/4" & 1/2" bits to avoid seasonal changes in hole size - would like each bit to be easily removed regardless of winter or summer - thanks.  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
I used 3/4 ply with the holes to "size" and haven't experienced any "gripping".   

I think I'd have done better if I had made strips of probably three widths, to accommodate the different cutter diameters, say, one for small flush cutter types, another a bit wider for round overs/profiles, and a third wider yet, for door sets.

Make each long enough to fit fully across the drawer.   That would allow you to organize the different types more or less as you'd like.
Mine are in 3x4 ply with a 1x4 ply attached to the bottom so the bits don't fall through. I used metric bits to drill the holes. They gave the perfect clearance so they don't get stuck. Not sure what sizes off hand though. 

I had bought some nice sharp metric brad points made in Russia while Gibralters was still in business in Detroit. Had I known how good they were I would have bought several. Still the best quality brad points I have as they hold an edge very well.  The small 5 piece set was only $2 so I didn't expect much at the time now I regret not buying a stack of them.
I found that there are fluorescent light defusing panels that are perfect grid for 1/2” bits. I use that with a small riser to lift it off the bottom of the box I have them in

Cheap...effective...And very flexible
My router table is probably 15 years old, based on Norm's design. It uses MDF for the bits drilled with holes just as you describe. In all those years the MDF hasn't been a problem. I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" shank bits in there. IIRC, all the holes are drilled 1/32" oversized...which was a headache for the 1/2" ones...I had to buy a bit.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-26-2018, 05:32 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks Stwood - as mentioned, I'm thinking of switching to ply or MDF - what size holes worked for you regarding both 1/4" & 1/2" bits to avoid seasonal changes in hole size - would like each bit to be easily removed regardless of winter or summer - thanks.  Dave

9/32 and 9/16 if I remember
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Just an idea and a plug of course.  CMT makes bushings for such an application.  Drill a 7/8" hole and populate with the appropriate bushing, have them for 8mm too.

https://www.holbren.com/router-tray-bushings/