Router Bit Storage - Preferences?
Shocked 
What I use:

Ag
I use the large fishing tackle boxes with adjustable dividers.

Have a deeper one for large bits.

Ed

Attached Files Image(s)

Router Bit Cleaning - just getting around to clearing out that router bit drawer w/ the foam inserts - will be gluing together some MDF & Ply and drill some holes w/ my drill press - BUT, the bits need some cleaning - have a bunch of products, including those by Brasso, Dri-cote, and others - after cleaning several, the shanks have a variable amount of staining and even a little rusting - on one of the shanks a little sanding w/ 600G wet/dry paper helped (vs. the liquid products used) - what are the best ways to clean these shanks and is there much harm in light sanding w/ a high grit paper (say vs. automotive sandpaper or shining products) - thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-31-2018, 08:05 PM)EdL Wrote: I use the large fishing tackle boxes with adjustable dividers.

Have a deeper one for large bits.

Ed

Looks like you bought out Woodcraft, before or after I did.
Laugh  Those $5.00 bits are good bits.

(04-01-2018, 03:05 PM)giradman Wrote: Router Bit Cleaning - just getting around to clearing out that router bit drawer w/ the foam inserts - will be gluing together some MDF & Ply and drill some holes w/ my drill press - BUT, the bits need some cleaning - have a bunch of products, including those by Brasso, Dri-cote, and others - after cleaning several, the shanks have a variable amount of staining and even a little rusting - on one of the shanks a little sanding w/ 600G wet/dry paper helped (vs. the liquid products used) - what are the best ways to clean these shanks and is there much harm in light sanding w/ a high grit paper (say vs. automotive sandpaper or shining products) - thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

I use 5-600 wet dry automotive paper with wd-40
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-29-2018, 06:33 PM)museumguy Wrote: I really like this idea. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it.

Borrow away
Smile
Lee Valley now sells individual holders for router bits. Neat little things that you can mount anywhere.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Router bits cleaned & a new storage unit(s) built for same drawer!
Smile

Glued 3/4" MDF & 1/4" plywood and made 2 units to fit the same drawer shown in my previous pics (good location for bits in my shop) - decided to try the Rockler blue inserts that accommodate both 1/4" or 1/2" bit shanks - ended up drilling 56 flat bottom holes w/ a 5/8" Forstner drill - virtually all of my bits fit (pic below) - I have about a half dozen router bit sets (rabbet, slot cutters, lock miter w/ guide, etc.) which are in an adjacent drawer - SO, another delayed shop project done!  Dave
Smile

P.S. bits are lightly held in these inserts and easily removed - believe I'll avoided finger cuts vs those tenacious foam holes! 
No

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Thumbs Up 
Thumbs up.........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great looking job and nice drawer BTW.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(04-14-2018, 06:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Thumbs up.........

(04-15-2018, 04:26 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Great looking job and nice drawer BTW.

Thanks Guys - nice to re-use the same space and great to remove the bits w/ little effort (rather than swaying one in those foam holes and hitting your finger on an adjacent carbide cutter - OUCH!) - actually that foam cuts nicely on my bandsaw and have already used a piece in a storage box I'm making for my JessEm dowelling kit (came in a cardboard container that was falling apart).  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina