Router Bit Storage - Preferences?
Thanks for the responses - all helpful - believe that I'll look in the shop for scrap ply/MDF and use my brad bits at 1/32" larger that the 1/4" and 1/2" shanks - will do some trials - good chance to dust off my bits and do a little oiling of those w/ guides.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Here’s mine, I even give you drawings:

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.

My solution.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-27-2018, 08:51 PM)museumguy Wrote: My solution.

Thanks Museumguy but need more details - what material(s) are your using in the drawer units, what is the thickness of the material, and what bit size did you use to drill the holes - need some details - thanks.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-27-2018, 07:28 PM)handi Wrote: Here’s mine, I even give you drawings:

Hi Handi - that cabinet looks beautiful but I really do not have a place in my shop to add such a unit, plus for my purposes, I do not need that amount of storage - the one drawer that I showed previously is enough for me - thanks for the video - I'm sure that others will be impressed.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-27-2018, 08:59 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks Museumguy but need more details - what material(s) are your using in the drawer units, what is the thickness of the material, and what bit size did you use to drill the holes - need some details - thanks.  Dave
Smile

Sorry. I used 3/4" plywood, cut to fit loosely in the drawers. The holes are 6.5mm for 1/4" shanks bits, letter V for 3/8" shank bits and 13 mm for 1/2" shank bits. Hope this helps.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-28-2018, 08:07 PM)museumguy Wrote: Sorry. I used 3/4" plywood, cut to fit loosely in the drawers. The holes are 6.5mm for 1/4" shanks bits, letter V for 3/8" shank bits and 13 mm for 1/2" shank bits. Hope this helps.

Thanks - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I had a couple plastic boxes about 7 X 11 with clear tops. I glued 1/8" hardboard to pink foam insulation about 1 1/2" thick and drilled holes. Pink foam will lightly grip the shanks without being difficult to insert/remove. Eventually the holes may wear in which case I'll make new ones. The boxes are portable which can be handy.
(03-29-2018, 05:26 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: I had a couple plastic boxes about 7 X 11 with clear tops. I glued 1/8" hardboard to pink foam insulation about 1 1/2" thick and drilled holes. Pink foam will lightly grip the shanks without being difficult to insert/remove. Eventually the holes may wear in which case I'll make new ones. The boxes are portable which can be handy.

I really like this idea. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it.

Garry
(03-27-2018, 09:02 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Handi - that cabinet looks beautiful but I really do not have a place in my shop to add such a unit, plus for my purposes, I do not need that amount of storage - the one drawer that I showed previously is enough for me - thanks for the video - I'm sure that others will be impressed.  Dave
Smile
Yeah, I started with two drawers in my router table ala Norm Abrams. 
Now the cabinet in the video is running out of room, lol

But watch the video anyway. Beyond the cabinet, I show you how I make the blocks that hold the bits, and even make some of them set up blocks that also hold the bits.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.