CBN Wheels at Lee Valley
Very pleased to see Lee valley now carrying CBN grinder wheels. I bought an 8" 180 grit from D-way a few years ago based upon advice here, and would never go back to the old style wheel. The LV prices seem quite reasonable, and when free shipping comes along, these are a great deal.

If you were thinking of going down this road, looks like there has never been a better time.
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
I am glad the Lee Valley has them now.

I got mine from Ken who owns Woodturners Wonders has some form Aluminum to Steel wheels.

https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/cbn-wheels

He also sells a combo package of Rikon grinders with CBN wheels attached.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-27-2018, 11:36 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am glad the Lee Valley has them now.

I got mine from Ken who owns Woodturners Wonders has some form Aluminum to Steel wheels.

https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/cbn-wheels

He also sells a combo package of Rikon grinders with CBN wheels attached.

Arlin,  I am considering one of Ken's grinder packages.  How do you like yours?
(04-06-2018, 10:10 AM)stonefox Wrote: Arlin,  I am considering one of Ken's grinder packages.  How do you like yours?

I got a CBN wheel from Ken a couple of months ago and love it. I put it on the same Rikon grinder he has as a kit and the setup works well. I wish he'd had the combination set 2 years ago when I bought my grinder, it would have been cheaper than what I paid separate.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Is there one grit that is “best” for turning tools?
Check out RoboHippie's website. He has a write-up on using CBN wheels for turning tools, complete with grit recommendations. I have a 180g and 360 grit wheels and love them, but I use them for more than just the turning tools. Make sure you get the concentric washer set for whichever wheel you get. They work perfectly.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I emailed Ken and explained my uses, turning tools, mower blades, knives, and axes. His 2 wheel setup recommendation was the 4 in 1 in 350 grit and the mega square wheel in 80 grit. I am also looking at getting the sharpening cards. All currently on sale according to his website. Seems like a good deal on the 1 hp 8" grinder/ wheel setup but still $500 shipped.
I picked up the Hurricane 80 and 180 grit CBN for my PC grinder. Definitely a game changer.
Don
(04-06-2018, 10:10 AM)stonefox Wrote: Arlin,  I am considering one of Ken's grinder packages.  How do you like yours?

Sorry I have not replied before but they are great and his warranty is the best at lifetime.
I am convinced whatever advise he gives is the best if you explain everything you want to do.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for the replies! Definitely in my near future. I'll need to order some more Wolverine bases. ?