Did I sell too cheap?
(03-28-2018, 09:55 AM)HomerLee Wrote: I just took a wild stab at a buy it now price. I had told someone locally he could have it for $70, gave him two weeks and he never got back to me. Thought about putting it in S & S for $90 shipped but didn't sell the other two planes I listed here so I thought I would try ebay. 

Perhaps leaving the plane pretty much as found helped but I suspect someone noticed the large number of watchers which ebay shows nowadays and didn't want to miss out.

See them listed on CL for $100 fairly often here.  Someone mentioned a No.8 and those are rare IME not sure they see much use as the only I have found is in like new condition.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-28-2018, 11:03 AM)Bob10 Wrote: See them listed on CL for $100 fairly often here.  Someone mentioned a No.8 and those are rare IME not sure they see much use as the only I have found is in like new condition.

#8's are a joy to use, I love mine... I have several.  I use the stanley and record 8's more so than the LN #8.  Now that thing is just too heavy.  It looks mightly fine though...
eStrokes77 wrote:
Quote:#8's are a joy to use, I love mine... I have several.  I use the stanley and record 8's more so than the LN #8.  Now that thing is just too heavy.  It looks mightly fine though...
I like my Bedrock 608C. Looks like a new plane, made a new rosewood tote, new Duplicolor paint, Veritas iron and cap iron, its a pleasure to use.
Neighbor came by one day and asked if I had a saw he could borrow to trim the bottom of a door. I loaned him a Bosch Fine Cut saw and showed him one of my planes. When he brought the saw back he also brought the Bedrock and a Bailey 5 1/2 and gave them to me, complete with painted lever caps, plastic totes and knobs, etc. He had a garage sale and no one bought the planes.
Good for you.  I picked up a 5 1/2 C, 6 and a 4 a couple weeks back.  I was looking at Mr Whites S&S and these popped up close to me
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

you shouldn't take a stab at the buy it now price, search for sold listings.  Although, there was only one that went more for $150 and lots that went for less on the first page, so it looks like you did well.

I really like my #7.  Still haven't gotten a #8, but I'm thinking about it. 6 is too small
Smile
(03-28-2018, 03:25 PM)EricU Wrote: you shouldn't take a stab at the buy it now price, search for sold listings.  Although, there was only one that went more for $150 and lots that went for less on the first page, so it looks like you did well.

I really like my #7.  Still haven't gotten a #8, but I'm thinking about it. 6 is too small
Smile

8s are in my mind just too heavy to push around, and an 8 can't do anything that a 7 will do with a lot less effort.  That's my conclusion, had an 8 and sold it, so be it.  They do have the cachet of just being an 8, if you're borderline compulsive about having one of every bench plane, so I guess I can say I "did" have one of every bench plane, at least at a point in time.......  God bless those who swear by them, they're just not for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If you are happy and the buyer is happy, then it was a good transaction.
I have a #7 that I will never use. I should try the 'bay.
(03-28-2018, 05:46 PM)Admiral Wrote:  They do have the cachet of just being an 8, if you're borderline compulsive about having one of every bench plane

I am not at all tempted to have a 1 or a 2, but my compulsion to have an 8 is definitely to complete the set.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would much rather have a compass plane and a scraper plane, but 8's are a lot easier to find.
Well after reading all the gossip here resulting from your #8 sale, Homer, I guess you made someone's "You Suck" day. That should make you feel good! 
Smirk