Walnut?
I bought this chair from Amazon.com.

It says the legs are "walnut" and they are "walnut colored" for sure.  But it looks more like beech to me.  Is there anyway for me to be sure what species of wood is in use?

https://www.amazon.com/Poly-Bark-Vortex-...Src=detail

[Image: 61vinuM07dL._SL1500_.jpg]
P.S.:  A nice chair.  It seems sturdy.  It is comfortable.  Assembly took less than 10 minutes.  It is very light and easily moved.  And I don't have to worry about the upholstery getting soiled.  It is all plastic and easily cleaned.  I do like the chair.  I was just wondering about the legs.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-28-2018, 09:48 AM)Cooler Wrote: I was just wondering about the legs.

if its hardwood it could be poplar maybe.

The book identifying wood might help

https://www.amazon.com/Identifying-Wood-...0942391047

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(03-28-2018, 10:44 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: if its hardwood it could be poplar maybe.

The book identifying wood might help

https://www.amazon.com/Identifying-Wood-...0942391047

The reason I guessed beech was that their natural (blond finish) is beech.
Send me one and I'll investigate the wood type.
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-28-2018, 10:55 AM)Cooler Wrote: The reason I guessed beech was that their natural (blond finish) is beech.

Look for the ray flecks on the quarter grain.  Beech has visible, walnut not.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
You're right; they look like beech.  The ad only says walnut legs which could mean walnut color and not legs made of walnut.  

Scrape off some finish in a place you don't see.  If the underlying wood is white, you'll know it's not walnut.  

John
Below is a magnified view of the chair leg from the Amazon website (does not look like walnut to me?) - went to the Poly & Bark Website - found the chairs there - see second pic - described as 'walnut stained wood' and as 'beech wood' in the description tab - so, beech stained walnut.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(03-28-2018, 11:50 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You're right; they look like beech.  The ad only says walnut legs which could mean walnut color and not legs made of walnut.  

Scrape off some finish in a place you don't see.  If the underlying wood is white, you'll know it's not walnut.  

John

I will check that.  The upper part of the legs is not visible.  I will take a look.
(03-28-2018, 12:10 PM)Cooler Wrote: I will check that.  The upper part of the legs is not visible.  I will take a look.

Why not remove one of the fasteners and peek at the inside of the hole? That will tell you for sure.
(03-28-2018, 01:42 PM)Chuck 80 Wrote: Why not remove one of the fasteners and peek at the inside of the hole? That will tell you for sure.
I'm reluctant to do that.  I don't know how stressed the components are.  It might be difficult to reassemble.  The unit came assembled except for the plastic seat which went on with 4 allen screws.  I suspect that it arrives assembled because assembly is difficult.  

In any case the description in the title was misleading.  

I bought a pair of boots from Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon) in which they wrote "made in the USA".  The boots arrived with a sewn tag that said "made in China".  I wrote to Amazon but they did not change the description.  Very disappointing.  I just looked now (Chippawa Loggers boots) no longer sold by Amazon, but still available.  No longer carries the false "Made in the USA" designation.

In fairness to Amazon the Chippawa website made it seem like they were made in the USA.