Wood floors
Son bought a house last year. The kitchen and dinning area has a hardwood floor, the area opens into the livening room which is carpet. The two meet at an angle and there is a piece of wood flooring running along the end of the wood creating the transition. That strip is rounded over where it meets the carpet. 

Son wants to pull out the carpet. I think matching wood would look best, he is not sure. That transition strip would have to come out due to the round over. He could try and pull out individual pieces and patch in new flooring, but that leaves a lot of chance to mess it up. The other choice would be to lay down a new strip of flooring for the transition and continue the wood into the living room from there.

Interested in hearing some solutions or best practices for this. 

What type of floor to install? It will be near impossible to match the existing floor, it's got a busy grain. I'd probably either replace all the floor to match or install some sort of contrasting wood in the living room using some of the new flooring to make the transition strip between the two.

To continue an existing floor and make it look good, he'll have to weave in the new floor.That takes a good bit of work and if it isn't an exact match, probably look like a hack job.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

if it was my place, i was pulling out the carpet and putting in wood floors, id use something that contrasts and run it on a 45 degree off that one 45 degree edge( or whatever that angle is).
different and breaks up the 2 rooms.
Tear it all out or make it contrasting. Trying to match it will never look right. Trust me... I'll give you my brothers phone number. He didn't listen to me.
Laugh
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

He should let his wife make the call. That's what I would do.
(03-29-2018, 12:51 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: He should let his wife make the call.  

Only answer that will allow him to sleep if it goes wrong.  Complete replacement is best
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-29-2018, 01:00 PM)Bob10 Wrote:
DieselDennis Wrote: Wrote:He should let his wife make the call.  

Only answer that will allow him to sleep if it goes wrong.  Complete replacement is best

No, just that he can't seem to get enough weiner
No way! He will still be wrong. Whatever happens He will be wrong!!

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I'd consider a darker new wood where the carpet now is, and run it perpendicular. 

The only way I'd consider trying to match it and weave it into the old floor would be if I could find the same wood, and then I'd sand, stain, and refinish all of it after the new stuff was installed.

John
Tear it out and replace it. You will never be able to match it or weave it to look good. While you are at it, replace the wood in the kitchen with a more water resistant product. IMO, wood flooring products should not be used in a kitchen. There are lots of nice looking ceramics on the market these days. Some look very wood like, if that is your preference.
(03-29-2018, 05:07 PM)Willyou Wrote: Tear it out and replace it. You will never be able to match it or weave it to look good. While you are at it, replace the wood in the kitchen with a more water resistant product. IMO, wood flooring products should not be used in a kitchen. There are lots of nice looking ceramics on the market these days. Some look very wood like, if that is your preference.

What is it you do in your kitchen that disqualifies wood?  It's been used in kitchens and every other room in houses for centuries. 

John