Signature medallion source
Hey all,

I'm looking for someone who can laser etch signature medallions in wood discs that I can use to "sign" the things I make. Any recommended sources that people here use? Or anyone here on woodnet that does this sort of work?

I did some googling and came up with lots of places that use lasers to make "stuff" in various media, including wood, but nowhere gave me warm fuzzies about doing the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I found a woodnet thread from a few years ago that mentions signaturemedallions.com. That looks like a decent source, but the medallions are metal and I'd prefer wood. Definitely a backup option though.

What I'm looking for: Roughly 50 (maybe 100?) medallions. About 1.5" diameter. Probably done in maple, but other light woods would be options too (beech, etc.). Maybe cherry or walnut also or in addition. I already have a vector graphic that I made that I'd like to use.

Thanks!
Tyler
Our local trophy shop does laser engraving.  

Personally I think engraved brass plaques are classier (and cheaper).  Shop extensively.  There are places out there that will engrave brass plates (with escutcheon pins) for very low prices, especially if you order a dozen at a time.

[Image: zoom.jpg?c=1485327618]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the thoughts, Cooler. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of using brass plates and would rather stick to wood. The bronze medallions aren't bad though. I'd also like to make sure I find a place that has worked with wood before, as I've seen plenty of examples where the wood ends up charred near the etched areas.

Thanks,
Tyler
Try Dan Robidoux:

https://www.handmadetheamericanway.com/s...lions.html
This guy is almost certainly too expensive but I admire his work:

https://www.kklaser.com/online-store/3-D...-c23835755

[Image: 521936331.jpg]
(03-28-2018, 09:28 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

I'm looking for someone who can laser etch signature medallions in wood discs that I can use to "sign" the things I make.  Any recommended sources that people here use?  Or anyone here on woodnet that does this sort of work?

I did some googling and came up with lots of places that use lasers to make "stuff" in various media, including wood, but nowhere gave me warm fuzzies about doing the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I found a woodnet thread from a few years ago that mentions signaturemedallions.com.  That looks like a decent source, but the medallions are metal and I'd prefer wood.  Definitely a backup option though.

What I'm looking for: Roughly 50 (maybe 100?) medallions.  About 1.5" diameter.  Probably done in maple, but other light woods would be options too (beech, etc.).  Maybe cherry or walnut also or in addition.  I already have a vector graphic that I made that I'd like to use.

Thanks!
Tyler

I have bought these since 2008. I got 1/8" thick 2" dia wood discs....and every year I would go to reorder and they would pass me on to a new vendor, till in 2013 (I think it was 2013) the vendor I used in 2012 just said it wasn't worth their time ( I was buying 200-300 at a pop). That's when I found the signature medallions place. Way better quality, much more professional, and easier to deal with. 

I highly recommend you give them a chance. You will be hard pressed getting wood ones, at a fair price. Like I said, there is no profit in them for the laser operators.

I have a CNC router and tried to make them myself, and again, the time you invest making 300+ a year, its just not worth doing yourself.  I made a four up fixture, but with change overs I could comfortably do 16 an hour. I order 500 at a time for less than a buck a piece IIRC....for me to do 500 would take 30 hours....I make more than $16/hr...
Laugh Sure, I could optimize it and double my output, but then again I am not in the business of making medallions.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Cooler Wrote:This guy is almost certainly too expensive but I admire his work:
https://www.kklaser.com/online-store/3-D...-c23835755
Wow, beautiful work, and certainly more complex than I'm looking for (not that that's a problem). I asked about pricing, and they said $2.50 each for 1.5" diameter in a quantity of 50. So not the cheapest, but there's little doubt that they'd produce an excellent result.

packerguy® Wrote:I have bought these since 2008. I got 1/8" thick 2" dia wood discs....and every year I would go to reorder and they would pass me on to a new vendor, till in 2013 (I think it was 2013) the vendor I used in 2012 just said it wasn't worth their time ( I was buying 200-300 at a pop). That's when I found the signature medallions place. Way better quality, much more professional, and easier to deal with.

I highly recommend you give them a chance. You will be hard pressed getting wood ones, at a fair price. Like I said, there is no profit in them for the laser operators.
That's some really interesting info regarding vendors not staying in the business. I'll give signature medallions another look too, especially since they seem to get a lot of love. Looks like they have some other finishes available (no pictures though), which would probably be of more interest to me.

Thanks!
Tyler
(03-28-2018, 09:28 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

I'm looking for someone who can laser etch signature medallions in wood discs that I can use to "sign" the things I make.  Any recommended sources that people here use?  Or anyone here on woodnet that does this sort of work?

I found a woodnet thread from a few years ago that mentions signaturemedallions.com.  That looks like a decent source, but the medallions are metal and I'd prefer wood.  Definitely a backup option though.

What I'm looking for: Roughly 50 (maybe 100?) medallions.  About 1.5" diameter.  Probably done in maple, but other light woods would be options too (beech, etc.).  Maybe cherry or walnut also or in addition.  I already have a vector graphic that I made that I'd like to use.

Thanks!
Tyler

My local trophy shop did some for me years ago . I milled the maple for them  and he did his thing . Think they cost me around $4 each , not cheap , i use them sparingly . I have since got a custom branding iron done and use that now . 
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
Have you considered printing your own on wood veneer?  Pick a contrasting/light wood and print them on a inkjet printer then trim to size with scissors.

I found several examples with a quick net search.
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(04-04-2018, 03:47 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Have you considered printing your own on wood veneer?  Pick a contrasting/light wood and print them on a inkjet printer then trim to size with scissors.

I found several examples with a quick net search.
Cool

A good idea.  

He can get printed wood business cards for $35.00/hundred.  He can just show his emblem or he can fill the card.

https://www.cardsofwood.com/product/prin...ess-cards/