Modification of table saw door
Wow...it's been a long time since I've been here. Got a lot of catching up to do. In the meantime, though, I have a question that I hope is easy to answer.

I have a Craftsman 22124 hybrid table saw. This saw has a big honkin' red plastic access door on the right side (see photo). It sticks out about a foot from the cabinet. One of the latches (plastic) has broken and the door doesn't stay shut. I recently built a saw accessory storage cabinet that sits under by Incra fence rails on the right side. I would like to remove this door and fabricate something that sits flat over the opening and keep it closed with magnets. I assume there was some reason the original doors was the way it is, perhaps for dust collection airflow purposes. My feeling is that a door with a better fir would enhance DC. At any rate, does anyone know of a downside to replacing the original door with a flat/flush door?

[Image: AF1QipMEfJHYu3Yh0Fv_yhqpKll4S47-yfhV4C79LGXO]
-Steve-

----------------------------------------
Try tilting the blade over to 45 then lowering and raising it. You may find that space occupied by the end bell of the motor in these type situations.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(03-29-2018, 12:10 AM)sdhberg Wrote: Wow...it's been a long time since I've been here. Got a lot of catching up to do. In the meantime, though, I have a question that I hope is easy to answer.

I have a Craftsman 22124 hybrid table saw. This saw has a big honkin' red plastic access door on the right side (see photo). It sticks out about a foot from the cabinet. One of the latches (plastic) has broken and the door doesn't stay shut. I recently built a saw accessory storage cabinet that sits under by Incra fence rails on the right side. I would like to remove this door and fabricate something that sits flat over the opening and keep it closed with magnets. I assume there was some reason the original doors was the way it is, perhaps for dust collection airflow purposes. My feeling is that a door with a better fir would enhance DC. At any rate, does anyone know of a downside to replacing the original door with a flat/flush door?

[Image: AF1QipMEfJHYu3Yh0Fv_yhqpKll4S47-yfhV4C79LGXO]

Picture  not working.

DT
what Kyle said. There's a reason the door sticks out.
Yup. the motor goes that way when you tilt the blade. I had the Craftsman hybrid up until 3 weeks ago.
You could make a new door that attaches with magnets as long as it allows for the motor to swing.  People do it for Unisaws all the time.
I have a 3D printer, if you want I can see if we can print a replacement latch.
PM me if you want.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.