Table saw blabe wont stay locked
My jet cabinet saw recently started drifting as I was doing cuts.  Closer examination showed that the blade was slowly lowering like it wasn't locked but it was tight.  I stripped it down and reset all the set screws and handle and it still  drifts.   Any idea what this is all about and how I can fix it?  It did this a few years ago and it was a set screw that came lose but that isn't the case this time.

Thanks,
Wayne
(03-29-2018, 04:32 AM)Wayne G. Wrote: My jet cabinet saw recently started drifting as I was doing cuts.  Closer examination showed that the blade was slowly lowering like it wasn't locked but it was tight.  I stripped it down and reset all the set screws and handle and it still  drifts.   Any idea what this is all about and how I can fix it?  It did this a few years ago and it was a set screw that came lose but that isn't the case this time.

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne, clean the gears off first. Sawdust may make this happen. Some saws have a pin that engages a gear . If the pin is missing the blade will drop. If you are using dado blades the extra weight and force will make the saw arbor drop. See if the manual and parts list show a  pin that may have fallen out of the locking mechanism. Have you called or E-mailed Jet for advice? 

mike
Thanks.  I did blow out the gears and tried to contact jet but was unsuccessful.  I will look at that manual though.
(03-29-2018, 07:46 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: Thanks.  I did blow out the gears and tried to contact jet but was unsuccessful.  I will look at that manual though.

Wayne, I looked at the parts diagram for a Jet cabinet saw. It appears that there is not a separate pin but the lock knob itself is also the pin. Remove the lock knob entirely. I think a shaft comes out with the knob. Might be worn or broken. 
If so a new knob or possible repair to yours. Some machinery uses a brass slug , then the steel threaded shaft to push against the brass. This may be a fix if the shaft is worn.
mike
(03-29-2018, 10:26 PM)mike4244 Wrote: Wayne, I looked at the parts diagram for a Jet cabinet saw. It appears that there is not a separate pin but the lock knob itself is also the pin. Remove the lock knob entirely. I think a shaft comes out with the knob. Might be worn or broken. 
If so a new knob or possible repair to yours. Some machinery uses a brass slug , then the steel threaded shaft to push against the brass. This may be a fix if the shaft is worn.
mike

Thanks.  Ill check that out