Home Depot spray foam kits
(03-31-2018, 11:18 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Again, why spray-foam in a basement? I can't think of one positive reason to do that? Lots of negatives.

I had our rim joists sprayed when we finished the basement along with all our 1/2 walls (back 1/2 of the house has daylight windows in the basement) and it made a MARKED improvement in heat loss/air infiltration. I also did the concrete walls in the finished section with no-ill effects. What would/could be the downside? This is closed cell foam and has been inplace for 8yrs or so with no issues
I was watching "Cabin Masters" the other day.  They remodel wilderness cabins.  They like spray foam insulation.  They claim it keeps the "small critters" out.  An unsung advantage.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-29-2018, 11:36 AM)jasfrank Wrote: What menards sells works when its dry. Its for those who dont use their guns often enough and it sets up in there.

It really doesn't.  I have a gun that I didn't treat right that doesn't work any more. Keeping it around because the idea I can't get replacement parts for it is really annoying.

You don't have to clean a gun, just leave a can of insulation on there.  It doesn't matter if the can is empty, it just needs to have enough propellant to keep air (water really) out of the gun.

You don't have to believe me, just google and read up.  I think everyone ruins their first gun. The truth is, my first gun is dead because I thought I had to take the insulation off and clean it for storage.  The solvent doesn't clean it well enough and it gets gummed up. Wasted so much time on that gun, don't even want to think about it.

There is a solvent that will dissolve the dried foam.  MEK maybe?  Didn't think it was worth it.
(04-02-2018, 08:38 AM)vernonator Wrote: What would/could be the downside?

Any future modifications would be more difficult. Fishing wire, plumbing, adding walls etc. Basements don't require as much insulation (R-13/15) and you shouldn't need to worry about drafts. -glass is just easier to deal with and a lot cheaper. If I were insulating between roof joists, I consider foam but I can see it still causing issues if I need to work on the decking. But, closed cell is the right way to go in a basement to stop moisture issues if you're dead set on spraying. Usually, a plastic barrier is used for fiberglass. I'm always remodeling and foam would screw me up big-time.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I decided to go with fiberglass batts. I'm glad I asked, I really was thinking that most would endorse spray foam.
Tomorrow I tear out the old wall and frame the new one.
Using 2 x 6 with 1/2" ply, 1/2 " foam, then T-111 on the outside and Fiberglas with a 6 mil vapor barrier.
Wish me luck .
Good luck! Post some pics when done!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(04-03-2018, 08:33 PM)johndi Wrote: I decided to go with fiberglass batts. I'm glad I asked, I really was thinking that most would endorse spray foam.
Tomorrow I tear out the old wall and frame the new one.
Using 2 x 6 with 1/2" ply, 1/2 " foam, then T-111 on the outside and Fiberglas with a 6 mil vapor barrier.
Wish me luck .

you could still use some cans of spray foam to seal around perimeters of openings and also top and bottom plate and at both ends of the wall to help stop any leakage.
I did use cans of foam around the penetrations. Tried to post pics of progress last week but site was having issues
This is how far I got on my week off, with the snow wind and rain I didn't get finished
Still need to hang the storm door and insulate and drywall one side

Attached Files Image(s)

This is the outside
Used PVC trim and really like it

Attached Files Image(s)